Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Under table Blade dust shroud for 1970 Unisaw

Mike, I have a 1.5 hp Jet 1100 that I drag from tool to tool. I also have a one 1 hp portable that I am trying to integrate under my outfeet table. I have a switch next to the saw switch. If it has enough suck to take care of the overarm guard and the shroud I will continue with that since it is more convient to use. I have been cleaning the garage all morning . After I finish my break, I will got test it out.
    Cary

Well, that was a complete and utter disappointment. With the 4" hose, with or without the Excalibur, I am getting covered in sawdust. More than I think I have before the shroud. Not too much sawdust getting to the bottom of the cabinet but that is probably because it is coming out the top. I am really disappointed in the Excalibur at this point. I must be doing something wrong.

So, Cary, let me get this straight...

With a 4" hose hooked up to the shroud you made, and nothing else hooked up, you are not getting good dust collection?

I can see that with a 4" hose hooked up to the Excalibur AND a 4" hose hooked up to your shroud that you probably aren't getting good results with your DC because it probably isn't pulling 350-400 cfm out of both. Some others that are more familiar with your model etc may be able to chime in here, but I think your DC is underpowered for both to run at the same time.

I would think that it would be sufficient for one or the other, though.

Do you think it could be a matter of where on the shroud you connected the port? You may not have a choice because of space, but closer to the front, or directly on the bottom, or completelty aft, might make a difference.

While I don't want to create more work for you, and I know you are frustrated right now, I don't want you to give up on your idea. I think it is a great one, and succeeding at it would give you great personal joy. Giving up may haunt you. Then again, putting it aside to be picked up again at a later date might be less stressful...

Chin up!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I think straight out the back woudl be ideal since most of them are desigened that way. I just don'w have the room. I removed it this morning and put it on the shelf. It will probably collect more dust that way.. I may come back to it some day. I am in the mood right dow to sell the saw and get something with a riving knife and a dust shroud. Food thing the G1023 isn't available yet.

Cary, I noticed this thread has been inactive for several months but I hope you can answer a couple questions. You mentioned your shroud did not prevent you from being sprayed with dust, even with the Excaliber collector. What about dust coming out under the table? Is the shroud catching that or it is spilling out into or even outside the base?

The reason I ask is I have two saws: one, a Bosch job saw which comes with an under table collection shroud and the other a 1985 vintage Unisaw with a 4" Shark Guard collector.

The Bosch not only sprays me liberally with dust, but a lot of dust also escapes the collector under the table such that there is considerable dust to vacuum up on the floor and inside the saw housing. It would be much worse without the collector as a large volume of dust blasts out of the 2" port if a hose is not attached. The Bosch shroud is very similar to your design except that it moves up and down with the blade since it is an integrated unit.

The Unisaw with the 4" Shark Guard collector is another story. Ripping with the stock throat plate I get virtually zero dust above the table and none on me. Underneath, there is plenty of dust in the base and where it leaks out through numerous openings. Right now I have no pan in the bottom, plus the saw is raised up on a mobile base and I currently am also without a motor cover so there are many openings to leak dust. Still, it was a pretty simple task to vacuum up.

I have a 1.5 hp Delta 50-760 which I connected to Shark Guard with a 4" flex hose.

Quote Originally Posted by glen pickren View Post
    Cary, I noticed this thread has been inactive for several months but I hope you can answer a couple questions. You mentioned your shroud did not prevent you from being sprayed with dust, even with the Excaliber collector. What about dust coming out under the table? Is the shroud catching that or it is spilling out into or even outside the base?

The reason I ask is I have two saws: one, a Bosch job saw which comes with an under table collection shroud and the other a 1985 vintage Unisaw with a 4" Shark Guard collector.

The Bosch not only sprays me liberally with dust, but a lot of dust also escapes the collector under the table such that there is considerable dust to vacuum up on the floor and inside the saw housing. It would be much worse without the collector as a large volume of dust blasts out of the 2" port if a hose is not attached. The Bosch shroud is very similar to your design except that it moves up and down with the blade since it is an integrated unit.

The Unisaw with the 4" Shark Guard collector is another story. Ripping with the stock throat plate I get virtually zero dust above the table and none on me. Underneath, there is plenty of dust in the base and where it leaks out through numerous openings. Right now I have no pan in the bottom, plus the saw is raised up on a mobile base and I currently am also without a motor cover so there are many openings to leak dust. Still, it was a pretty simple task to vacuum up.

I have a 1.5 hp Delta 50-760 which I connected to Shark Guard with a 4" flex hose.
    There is about as much dust on the bottom of saw whether you have the shroud hooked up or you have a 4" hose connected to the bottom of the cabinet.

Cary, I know you've pretty much given up on this idea, but I do have a question for you. Was the 2.5" dust port towards the back of the blade, or was it towards the front of the blade. I would imagine that towards the front would be better, but of course, only a prototype would tell. I also know you put it where you could because of space restrictions. So, you may have been limited...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Cary, are you using a zero clearence insert, if so that would be a big problem
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Cary, I know you've pretty much given up on this idea, but I do have a question for you. Was the 2.5" dust port towards the back of the blade, or was it towards the front of the blade. I would imagine that towards the front would be better, but of course, only a prototype would tell. I also know you put it where you could because of space restrictions. So, you may have been limited...
    My Bosch 4100 TS port is also on the rear. It pretty much has to be because of tilt mechanism on the front. Also, it appears somewhat effective because the blade creates a strong blast of air out the dust port without a hose connected (which I might add would blow dust all over the shop if you didn't connect a vacuum.)

I am somewhat surprised that you find little difference in the sawdust under the table whether the shroud is in place or not, but I guess the real issue is that if it doesn't catch almost all of it there is no value. What I mean is that if you have to vacuum under the table anyway then you can vacuum a lot just about as fast as a little. It looks like the optimum solution is something like the Shark Guard to catch the above table dust (which mine does almost 100%) and then a 4" dust port in the base.

Too bad. Very nice welding job.
    Last edited by glen pickren; 09-21-2010 at 9:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    The 2.5 and the 4" dust ports were off the back end but due to space they had to be off to the side instead of straight out of the back. Every dust shorud I have seen(PM, new Uni, Grizzly, etc) has been straight out the back. I sure that is for a reason because some of the saws don't look like they have a space restriction. I have given up on this. I traded my UNI for a G1023RL. Call me crazy or stupid but DC is miles ahead of what I had on the UNI and I am much happier. If anybody wants to continue this then I will share what I know but I will not be putting any more time into it.

Quote Originally Posted by glen pickren View Post
    It looks like the optimum solution is something like the Shark Guard to catch the above table dust (which mine does almost 100%) and then a 4" dust port in the base.

Too bad. Very nice welding job.
    I was told by somebody that tested it with the 4" hose that it provided no improvement over a overhead guard and a port in the bottom of the cabinet. I have an Excalibur that I was not overly pleased with till I made a new basket for. With the old basket and a 4" port in the cabinet, I was getting almost as dusty as I was without anything. Thanks for the comments. Bondo and Paint works wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Cary, are you using a zero clearence insert, if so that would be a big problem
    I was using a ZCI. I also tested with the dust door off to add more air flow and it still did not collect enough at the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have an Excalibur that I was not overly pleased with till I made a new basket for. With the old basket and a 4" port in the cabinet, I was getting almost as dusty as I was without anything.
    Cary - I'd like to see you new basket. I've also not been overly thrilled with my Excalibur. Even when I cut off airflow to my cabinet, it still spits dust out the front of the blade guard. I've been contemplating building a new basket with the dust collection more toward the front (Take off on the side). Can you post pictures of your new basket? (Or did I already miss that thread?) I'd still like to believe that your under blade DC could be successful - I'd like to try something similar to what you've done.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 09-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.

12. I have a 12/14. It's the big brother of your uni. I've long been thinking to do something like this for it.
    The 12/14 has such a big cabinet that the dust spreads out before it gets to the dust port and makes big piles in the corners. I have a 4" pickup tube cast into the floor pointing straight up almost directly below the blade but still sawdust piles up until it buries the motor- not good.

Bridger

Cary, Post that over on OWWM. Those guys are unisaw crazy. I would like that on my rockwell 12-14. Dave

I'm really sorry to see this project dead in the water. It's such an obviously useful upgrade to a vintage saw that I'm kinda surprised that some of the incredibly talented wood/metal workers around these parts haven't gotten after it and worked out the kinks.

Anyhow, it is something on my to do list, although not real near the top... but it's on my mind at the moment. I guess I'd like to keep this thread alive as a place to collect ideas links and notes.

Anybody seen it done successfully?
    Last edited by bridger berdel; 06-18-2011 at 11:51 PM.

15. Red face a possible tweak.

To keep sawdust from leaking out over the top of the shroud when the blade is less than all of the way up(most of the time, right?) how about a smaller shroud that fits inside the main one, but is mounted to and hangs down from the table insert?