Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Under table Blade dust shroud for 1970 Unisaw

The dust Shroud

At the begining it looks like a great idea that you have come up with, I'm considering making one myself.

BUT, in this country, with all of the LEGALESE around, I don't think I'd go any farther without contacting an attorney. Just one accident and someone would own your soul. It's interesting how fast a friend or purchaser can call an attorney when an accident occurs.
    Not trying to throw a wet blanket on a GREAT addition to the Unisaw.

Ed

Ed, not sure if you realize how old this thread is... And Cary pretty much nixed the idea IIRC. Good advice, though...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hello,

I just bought a 1954 unisaw, in wonderful condition however no dust collection. I wondered if you offer the dust shroud for sale? or plans?

Thanks,
    Pete

Am going to try and name this response in two notes..........

1>study existing shroud designs(NOT the saw they're bolted to)on $$$ German sliders.Sliders because,when viewing pics,you get very good glimpses of their shapes.

2>sharp corners,abrupt transitions,and hard R/L turns....do not equal max airflow.Think soft and round...not hard/square.

OK,maybe a third,haha......just remember Edison's quote on failed attempts.On design/builds like this,we don't even think building one.We'd be on our 3rd revision before the 1st even got bolted up.Meaning,when cutting out the 1st one........make some more.Leaving critical areas large.Also,don't forget you can build a wood "plug" and cover it with carbon fibre.....well,maybe fibre glass,haha.It's actually pretty fun for WW'ing folks who don't want to play sheetmetal man.Good luck.
    Last edited by Brian W Smith; 01-20-2014 at 8:23 AM.

I'd like one for a left tilt, but would advise you to be very careful, as you may find a need for liability insurance, and John already mentioned the patent attorney. You might visit with the guys at Shark Guard, they might be interested in another kind of dust shield, as they already make the above the table kind.

6. I know this post is a decade old but it's the best one I've found on this subject to date. Does OP or anyone else have the pics that were on Photobucket? I'm looking to add an under-blade shroud to my 36-812 as adding overhead DC in addition to the factory chute has helped only a little.

I know the newer Unisaws added this feature, thought about buying one of those and modding if needed but they're at least $80. Thanks!