Thread: Getting started with Aniline dyes

Getting started with Aniline dyes

So I have decided I want to play around with aniline dyes and some various types of wood. I have projects in the coming months (and years), and honestly this is a skill I want.

I've been reading...ALOT on this process, enough so that I think boots on the ground, or in this case, sponge on the boards is where I need to be.

That brings me to the question..I would like to get a variety of colors, possibly of brands. Are there places to get sampler sets, or small bottles of the powder in various colors so I can see how the different colors and brands react with different woods along with the different mix bases. Heck I'm even going to give RITT a shot for different applications...

My googling skills have not been up to par on this task...

I've had good luck with Transtint. People also like Lockwood.

The stuff lasts so long, you could buy 2oz Transtint Medium Brown concentrate + 2oz green, red, and amber respectively and it'd provide you with a lot of material to experiment with - all for around $70.

Those are the ones I have heard the most about...worst case scenario I can go that route...but I'm hoping there is a sampler kit...

Maybe not...thank you for your input.

W.D. Lockwood does(did?) sell a sampler kit as mentioned on their web pages. I don't think they have click through ordering but have been responsive when I have called with a question. They are still located in downtown New York. Lockwood does have a very wide range of colors.

TransTint is good dye, but unless you are spraying I prefer the powdered water soluble dyes, which from Homestead Finishing Products are branded TransFast. Transtint dissolves in many solvents--which unfortunately includes the solvents in some of the topcoats you may want to use, adding a minor complication. But that does make it great for adding to clear finish to get a dye toner.

Thank you Steve

I will give them a call this week....will update as I know more...