Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A & C Lamp Table..

A & C Lamp Table..

Basic straight forward build here from solid.. just a lamp table to go with a Mission Twin Bed I posted several weeks ago. 3 day build.. 1 1/2 weeks to finish with cure time. Made from the last left-overs I had from a thousand board feet of QSWO so there is a combo of heart wood.. some sapwood.. etc. Too accompany my neice's twin bed I made for her so a speedy build as she needed it now. Didn't even bother to quad-linear the legs. No back-drop for photo's.. just shot a few pictures before it departed the shop... staying busy in the summer heat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Great looking table.

Looks great. Especially like the form of the stretcher.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Sarge, nice clean build!! As always, you do a great job on the design and execution. Enjoy that southern heat!!

Blog Entries
    Nice piece John. Clean, classic lines. Well done. Good color too; what was the finishing protocol?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

May be a nice clean speedy piece John but I'm sure your niece will enjoy it for years to come. Great job...

Thanks much Jim R.. John S.. John K.. Glenn B and Gary Z...

Glenn the finish schedule is idenical to the Mission Twin Bed. I believe it was you or someone ask and I gave it in that thread. Same stain as the MTB as it is an accompanying piece. Same finish schedule on the poly also. Go back to Mission Twin Bed ( bout 6 weeks ago or so..I think that was the title) and look for the post I described it. If you can't find it.. post that and I will explain again. No problem..

Let's do a deck addition I was supposed to be on 7 weeks ago until the bed and table took priority.
    Sarge..

Another 1000 Ft Order?

Isn't she going to need a dresser? And a blanket chest, chest of drawers, and a matching wardrobe, and isn't there a repeat build of the bed for the wife? Sounds like you will be busy. Nice job on the the night stand.

Clean and beautiful table -- Nice Work John!

Thanks Joe and Roy!

Joe.. she probably will need those pieces eventually. Her dad is a shop foreman in hydraulics at Delta Air Lines (former BMW mechanic) is doing brake pads.. shoes.. and new rear wheel cylinders on my wife's Cherokee this week-end for the trade-off. If I need a new engine.. tranny.. differentail.. etc. dropped in one of our vehicles she will probably get those items as we barter his knack for mechanical and machining for my love of butchering pieces of wood.
    Sarge..

Beautiful table Sarge!!!

I read the post title too fast and wanted to see your Clamp table!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Very nice, Sarge.

Question: In the 3d photo, I see what looks like tenons/end grain at the ends of the stretchers. Educate me - I don't understand what I'm looking at - doesn't seem those would be there for the bottom shelf - don't understand how that works with the stretcher-to-leg assembly. Some kinda "exposed loose tenon" type of thing I've not seen before?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Beautiful table Sarge!!!

I read the post title too fast and wanted to see your Clamp table!
    Haha... thanks Mike. I have done similar when in a hurry and I always seem to be in a hurry or running behind.. whichever!
    Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Very nice, Sarge.

Question: In the 3d photo, I see what looks like tenons/end grain at the ends of the stretchers. Educate me - I don't understand what I'm looking at - doesn't seem those would be there for the bottom shelf - don't understand how that works with the stretcher-to-leg assembly. Some kinda "exposed loose tenon" type of thing I've not seen before?
    Haha.. good catch. Those are what I refer to as "cheater tenons" Kent. You basically had it right with some kinda exposed loose tenon. I mentioned I was in a hurry but I will explain in detail. The top stretchers are traditional M & T's as I normally use. To save time on the bottom I used a float tenon but exposed it in lieu of being hidden. I ran the stretcher ends vertical on a tenon jig using my 3/8" box jointer blades and simply plowed a dado into the end grain all the way across 3/4" deep. At that point I ripped a strip of darker heart-wood a tad proud of the width of the stretcher and 3/8" exact thick. A simple cross-cut and I have a float tenon. What you see exposed in the darker shade is long grain... just darker heartwood. I rarely use this method but when I do.. I usually make the exposed tenon from purple-heaar or some ebonized wood. None on hand as this piece was made from the final dredges of a large batch of QSWO and I was determined to use what I had on hand on top of being in a hurry.

For that matter.. you can't see it but the shelf itself does not have a true tenon that fits into the dado running across the back side of the bottom stretcher. I dadoed the stretcher with my 3/8" box joint blade. I stood the bottom shelf vertical on my rip fence and then ran my spriing-board (similar to feather-board) tight up against the other side to pin it tight. Ran another dado right down the center of the end grain on both ends of the shelf. Added a float tenon and glued the center 6". So.. the shelf does not have a true traditional tenon either. That saved an hour or so in lieu of going with a traditional tenon.

When I said I was in a hurry to get this out.. I wasn't kidding. The twin bed and this was a spur of the moment deal that got bumped in front of adding onto and re-enforcing my back deck. Simply put.. we found out my favorite neice didn't have a bed. Good kid and worthy of the priority switch as I see it.

Any further questions.... ask!
    Sarge..

Sarge - gotcha - thanks. I understand exactly what/how/why you did it. Something to file in the "bag 'o tricks". Can see why it would look nice with a contrasting wood, also.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.