Thread: 1.5hp Oneida DC question

1.5hp Oneida DC question

I am considering the purchase of a an older but never installed 1.5hp Oneida like the one seen in this picture. He was asking $750 and has offered to go as low as $550. What would you offer? It has an internal filter design. What is the deal with that? I only run one machine at a time. Machines include 16" drum sander, 18" planer. Is this enough for those or am I just wasting money on one this small?

Thanks,
    Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Drew, I have that cyclone with the external filter.

When I bought it it had the internal filter, however that was a mess to clean so I bought the external filter option for it.

The cyclone works fine in my small shop, if you PM me with an e-mail I'll send you the manual for it which has airflow graphs.

Once you look at the graph you'll be able to tell if it will work for your application.

Don't worry about the HP rating, that's almost useless for evaluating fan performance, the only info you need is the fan curve.

Regards, Rod.

P.S I use mine with a 12" jointer/planer, a shaper, sliding table saw, however no sanding machines.

Before I bought the present planer I had a 14" planer, no problems with dust collection using 5" hoses and 6" piping.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 06-22-2010 at 1:23 PM. Reason: Added Post Script

How much did that retrofit for external cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Sanderson View Post
    How much did that retrofit for external cost you?
    Hi, I can't remember exactly however I would expect in the $200 to $300 range.

Oneida will give you a quote by e-mail.

Please note that I'm in Canada so it's more expensive here than in the US........Rod.

What Rod said about the internal filter- one of the worst ideas ever.

The other consideration, is that unit is older and doesn't have some of the refinements of later units. Like Rod said, you need to look at the CFM req. of your machines. Then compute the total static pressure resistance of your ducting, fittings, cyclone, and filter and plot that on the fan curve to see if it will provide the CFM you need at each machine. If you have a large shop with a lot of ducting and/or turns and bends, or plan to enlarge your shop someday, that 1.5 hp unit and its small impeller will likely not meet your needs . . . . . unless all you care about is chip removal.

Let's see. $500 for a five year old machine with a design technology that is no longer being used, add to that $2-300 for a filter upgrade. Why?

Take a look at the 1 1/2 hp Grizzly G0443 cyclone @$795. Good performance, excellent fan curve, external filter (with built-in filter cleaner), warranty, and a good reputation. Oh, it also comes with a remote control.

More importantly, the entire line of Grizzly cyclones was chosen as "top rated" by American Woodworker magazine in 2006 because of the accuracy of the manufacturer's fan curves and for its ability to separate the fine dust before it reaches the filter. You may be still be able to access the article through Oneida's website

I don't own it. I own a ClearVue. But the Grizzly is an excellent value in that range.

Paul

Well, if the Oneida cyclone performance is OK for the application it has the following advantages;

- 3R's, re-using an existing product is better for the environment than building a new one

- American made Baldor motor and American made cyclone.

Regards, Rod.

It's not a bad unit...I started with one, albeit I quickly moved to external filters, both for performance and for easier maintenance. That said, if you have any "larger" chip/dust producing machines, this particular cyclone isn't ideal for clearing that much volume. When I bought my J/P combo, I quickly found I needed to upgrade to a much more capable cyclone to insure complete collection and to eliminate clogging. I sold that lightly used cyclone WITH the external filters for $400 in 2004. IMHO, $200-$350 is about the most I'd suggest paying for the unit you are offered, even with it's excellent condition.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    +1 on taking a pass on this one. There will be other deals more suitable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the great advise everyone. I decided to offer him $200. If he goes for it, great, it will be a good stop gap until I get what i really need and won't take a hit on the resale. If not, i'll get by just fine with what I have, and still have the money in hand I will let you all know how it goes. If anyone has any other opinions feel free to keep posting.

Thanks,
    Drew

He sold it tonight for $600! Congrats to him It just confirms that it was not meant for me

Thanks everyone