Thread: King mission style bed

King mission style bed

About a month ago my wife and I ditched out select comfort bed for a new hi-tech inner spring mattress. I haven't slept so good in months. In the process of changing beds we also increase from a queen to a king. That change put me in the hot seat of making a new bed set. My wife found what she liked at the furniture store, and this is what my interpretation turned out to be. There are 96 mortise and tendons thanks to my jet floor stand mortiser they were pretty easy. Toughest part was coming up with clamps to assemble it. I got some pipe clamp couplers from the local plumber for a total of $4. I finished it with the same stain and gem var conversion varnish to match the other pieces of our bedroom set. I think it turned out well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice clean design Paul, looks great, thats a whole lotta mortise and tennons!!!

Did you laminate the corner posts or use thick stock?

Looks good, Paul. And it looks like the finish matches the nightstands perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    I think it turned out well.
    And, I think I agree with you!! Excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Nice clean design Paul, looks great, thats a whole lotta mortise and tennons!!!

Did you laminate the corner posts or use thick stock?

Jeff,

I have a mill 5 miles from my house. So I asked them to cut me some 12/4 red oak so I didn't have to laminate the posts. Before I had a chance to take measurements ( of the queen set) at the store I was thinking the posts needed to be larger. The bed it replaces had 3 1/2" posts. I thought about larger posts on this one but with the small slats they wouldn't have looked right. And this way I didn't have to laminate.

The stain is a little darker I think. But it is really hard to tell. The older furniture (7 years) there is also a dresser and armoire and they may have mellowed a little. It was a really simple design just lots of holes and tendons. The design in the store has a longer top plate with corbells at the ends. That would have made the pieces another 8" longer for a totall of 87" and we didn't want them that long. So I deleted the corbells. There are other changes since we bought low profile foundations but it is the same basic design.