Thread: Grizz Low end planer question

Grizz Low end planer question

Good Morning Folks - I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking at the two lower end Grizzly 12 1/2 planers (G8794 and 0505) and am trying to see if anyone has any direct experience with either of these two machines. I've lurked here enough to have seen the pros/cons bigger/better discussions but am seeking input on models in this class.

Thanks,

Mike

I have not personally had direct experience with either of these machines, but I can tell you my exerience with one I think would be very close. I had a Reliant 12" Planer for about 6-8 years. It served me very well and I sold it for around $100. You will experience more snipe with these than the more expensive planers, but you can overcome some of this by technique and also by building a longer table that you run through the bottom to keep the wood at the same level all the way through.

I also have three Grizzly tools - cabinet saw, 17" bandsaw and their 12" disk sander. The bigger items are of better fit and finish, but all three work as they should.

I see no reason why the small planers won't live up to the billing, knowing that they are not high end planers. Go for it.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

After taking a quick look at the two you listed on Grizzly's web site I'd like to throw out the Ryobi 13". It goes for $250 at Home Depot which is right in the range of these two and has one feature that the Grizzly's lack - a cutter head lock. It also seems to have more bells and whistles than these two from Grizzly (on board storage, dust collection hood and thickness gauges). I've found a few reviews online (eopinions and Ryobi's web forums) and I've heard that it has been labeled as Best Buy by some of the magazines. I do not have this planer (or, for that matter, any planer), but it is the one on my Christmas list.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

I have the Grizzly G1017 which Grizzly doesn't sell anymore it doesn't have a head lock system.

Go to this URL http://www.woodisourart.com/planer/planer.htm & set your portable planer up as directed & you shouldn't have any problems with snipe I don't since I set my planer up this way.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Thanks gents. I guess I was also looking for some confirmation that the "portables" did a fair job. My main use will planing out small stock that's been resawed for scroll work.

Thanks again.

G1017 planer

You can go here & Grizzly is still selling the G1017 planer which is a very good little planer.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/items-...isttype=group&
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Michael,

You might consider a small drum sander for finishing thin stock after resawing. If material for scroll work is what you are looking to machine the Jet 10/20 drum sander is a nice machine and will provide you with a smoother surface than a planer. I resaw and then sand both wood and Corian to make thin stock for inlay work, my planer is normally only used to surface thick lumber.

For scroll stock I think you might be much happier with a drum sander. One of our members recently did a review of the Jet 10/20" drum sander, a search of our forums will provide you with his review and comments. I own the same sander, it is an excellent machine.