Thread: Grizzly table saw

Grizzly table saw

Its time for a new saw, Any info if anyone owns a Grizzly G1023RL or a G0690. Both are 3 hp and 220 volts one better then the other? They are with in a $100 of each. Any info would be great thanks for your time.
    Rich

Blog Entries
    Hi Rich. I used the search function from the drop down menu here at SMC to find these results:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1023&...wmillcreek.org

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...i=g10&aql=&oq=
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The G0690/1 has a Leeson Motor.

Blog Entries
    I've got the G0691, which is essentially the G0690 with longer rails and table. Here is my review.

You can also see the feedback I received after asking a similar question

p.s. dooo eeet!

Rich,

Rob's review is pretty thorough and closely matches my recent experience with purchasing the G0690. Aside from some shipping issues (totally not Grizzly's fault) I'm very please my the saw. At this point, my only regret is not having gone with the G0691. I sure wish I had that extra 20 inches or so on the right side.

One other thing...I don't know what your dust collection set up is like (possibly still being planned). I've been using my saw with a 1HP Delta DC (don't remember the model number) and was a little disappointed. The Delta performed to spec, but just couldn't seem to handle everything I was throwing at it. Last weekend, I upgraged to the 2HP Harbor Freight model. What a difference! I knew I had some issues, but didn't realize the extent. That thing sucks! And I mean that in an entirely good way. I plan to hard pipe everything and upgrade to a Wynn cartrage filter and a Thein Baffle real soon. The DC has likely been the best $130 I've spent (VERY good coupon).

It's not my money, but I don't think you can go wrong with the 0690/1 for the cost. Go for it!

The biggest difference in the two saws is that the 690 is in stock and you're looking at a May 11 ship date on the new 1023RL.

Yes, there are some differences in the two besides the 690/601 having the Leeson motor. Pluses and minuses each direction. I do know that the Leeson is a more efficient motor that the older 1023. I understand the new 1023Rs use the same motor as the old 1023. The entire trunnion on the new 1023R series is a new design and different than the 690 series. One person has said that the riving knife is better on the 690. A lot of this we really won't know for sure until the new 1023Rs hit the ground. If you want a saw quickly, the 690 is for you!! I have the 691, and so far it is great. Most features for the price. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

The 1023 series saws have a blade shroud and the 690/1 do not. The 1023 also use a serpentine belt now. IMHO the blade shroud would be the difference maker to me.

It will be intersting to see what people think when they actually get their hands on the new 1023. I was going to be near Muncy in early April and was hoping to get a chance to look at one, probably not.

I promise a detailed post on the new 1023RL as soon as I get my hands on it.....unless I decide to just get the 690....or, and I can't believe I'm typing this, a Sawstop!! My defenses are begining to crumble..

Blog Entries

Saw this on another forum

Here's a big difference I haven't seen explicitly highlighted and is a major one for me. But the G1023RL requires a 30A circuit vice a 20A for the G0690. I already have 20A circuits and am not interested in upgrading to a 30A.

Looking at the specifications for the 1023 and 0690 motors, I came up with the following motor power input (746 watts = 1 HP):

G1023: (18 amps)(220 volts) = 3960 Watts = 5.3 HP

G0690: (12.8 amps)(220 volts) = 2816 watts = 3.77 HP

Efficiciencies based on 3 HP outputs:

G1023: 3/5.3 = 56.6%

G0690: 3/3.77 = 79.6%

The Leeson motor is considered to be very efficient, so my calculations back it up.

It is easy to assume the higher effiency of the G0690 motor just based on the specifications of 12.8 amps versus 18 amps. The G0690 needs a 20 amp breaker and the G1023 needs a 30 amp breaker. That results in more costs to run the wires for the circuits too. The G0690 looks to save money on circuit installation and lifetime energy costs.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good