Thread: Workability of Santos Mahogany

Workability of Santos Mahogany

I have a chance to get some Santos Mahogany, guy is selling it for 4.50bf, might take an offer of less. I'm not familiar with the wood, and haven't been able to find info on how it is to work, outside of a few mentions of it being a bit tough.

I don't want to get stuck with wood that, however beautiful, is a PITA to use.

So, could folks who've used this wood compare it to some other common woods in terms of ease of working it?

Thanks -

Ken

Is this the guy who has it on CL? I was interested but don't have the room for it all. Would you be interested in splitting some with me. I am on the NY/Ct border

I have worked with it, and found it to be quite agreeable to work with. No problems that I can remember offhand, It planed well, I don't remember having any problems with tearout etc. I honestly can't think of any problems offhand.
    The stuff I had, had some pretty exceptional figure, and I don't know how much of this stuff actually turns out this way...

Santos Mahogany is what I call hard Mahogany.
    Ideal for flooring, great for stability.
    It is not going to move a great deal.
    When it comes to planing, I have found that sharp knives in the planer
    and jointer combined with a low cut rather then a helical head will give a better finish.
    If you have a moulder, and are able to fabricate your own mouldings
    This lumber is ideal.
    Bottom line.
    30 years of mahogany work, I would jump on it.
    I haven't been here in awhile and for those who are new, this is all Mahogany, and a little Birdseye maple.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26352554@N02/show/

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Amazing work Per Swenson!!! That's one beautiful bar! (understatement of the year)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Amazing work Per Swenson!!! That's one beautiful bar! (understatement of the year)
    Double what Rick said!!!!!!!!

Santos Mahogany, despite its name, is not a mahogany. It is a very respectable hardwood in its own right. It just isn't true mahogany. Compared to Honduras Mahogany, it is much heavier and harder. It doesn't carve like butter, the way Hondo does. It makes terrific flooring, whereas Hondo is too soft for that application. The color of Santos is generally more to the red and brown end of things than the gold and lighter brown of Hondo.
    It does have some chatoyance, like Hondo. But I've never seen it with strong ribbon striping, like some Hondo boards have.

Nice to see you around again Per. Lookin' at those bar pics never gets old.

I am not typical scotch drinker, but that bar makes me want to have a cigar and a glass of scotch
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I find Santos has a very strange smell that can border on unpleasant during milling, a sort of heady floral perfume. And it is very heavy! It will help you identify which tools in your shop have dull knives rather quickly, and make those which are sharp dull rather more quickly that SA mahogany or African. But otherwise it behaves well, and is very durable. I have seen it used mostly for flooring, a few counter tops and odd things here and there. I'd compare it to Jatoba in terms of its working properties and weight, perhaps a bit more stable though when splitting wider boards? Similar red hue as well, though without the darker blackish grain accents in the flat sawn material.

That price seems reasonable for a quality hard wood.