Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about building cabinet doors

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Thanks to all. That makes it a lot clearer. I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK 2 1/4 HP router combo and a router table. But from reading posts over a period of time, I think that I've learned that to spin the big bits, you need a router with a little more power, so I'm probably going to wait until I get a 3 HP unit before I start on this. In the meantime, I appreciate all of your help, because it helps me to understand the process.
    Louis
    I think the primary requirement is the VS... you want to slow the bit down. Your HP is probably fine... just feed the stock at a comfortable speed and take a bit off at a time... this is a comment without experience to back it up, but I have been in the market for a VS router for this very purpose, and highest HP has not been my highest priority.
    Last edited by Michael MacDonald; 07-02-2010 at 9:56 AM.

Louis,
    You are right doing a raised panel on plywood is not common, although my grandfather did an armoire this way probably 30(?) years ago and it is really nice. Plywood was really good back then.

You are also correct that I meant use 1/4" ply when not doing a raised panel, but you will find that the tongue created by most raised panel assemblies is 1/4" so even if you get a fancy raised panel bit and all you can still use a tongue and groove bit if you want to mix it up with simple profiles on rail and stile.

My suggestion was to practice for confidence with some simple doors using the T&G bits and 1/4" plywood panels before attempting raised panels. Raised panels can be really frustrating if the panel wood moves after you do the profile. This happened to me on a nice piece and I just have to live with it.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    I think the primary requirement is the VS... you want to slow the bit down. Your HP is probably fine... just feed the stock at a comfortable speed and take a bit off at a time... this is a comment without experience to back it up, but I have been in the market for a VS router for this very purpose, and highest HP has not been my highest priority.
    Michael, this is good advice. I forgot to mention that if you spin large bits you need variable speed to slow the bit down. It is very important for safety as well as not burning up the work.

-Brian

Thanks Brian, I just wanted to clarify the point about the plywood. My problem is that in my area, I don't have much (if any) access to actual hardwood. About the only way that I can get hardwood is by buying oak or poplar from Home Depot or Lowe's, and that only comes in widths up to 1x12.

Thanks again,
    Louis

Louis -

poplar is a great wood to learn on - machines nice, not likely to have tricky grain orientation, pretty hard & durable, sands & finishes well. I like the look of it on the few pieces I have made.

don't worry about width - almost all raised panels are made from 2 or more boards edge jointed & glued.

If you post where you are you will likely get a supply of someplace to get wood. Nearly everywhere has someone near by that has a small kiln or other supplier.

They are often not well advertised or not advertised at all.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I'm in Shreveport, Louisiana.
    Louis