Thread: Hand Plane identification

Hand Plane identification

So I've been a big power tool guy for a long time and have never used hand planes. I decided to give it a shot and went to my local flea market and made out like a bandit. My question is now, how do I find out what number plane it is and what it's used for?

Oh yea, and please do not beat me with your neander clubs for asking such a dumb question...
    Last edited by Joe Shinall; 06-30-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

A few pics will really help

Congrats!@

Welcome to the quieter side of the slope--just not a whole lot less expensive.

Pictures of the planes from the front, back, top, and sides will really help the experts here with your show and tell.

For some light reading, check out Patrick Leach's Blood and Gore website. You might just discover what you've got. Remember, he's opinionated!

Sharp, sharp blades are the first ingredient to getting the most from your new investment. Beyond that, making sure the bottoms are genuinely flat, and the mouth is tight, and there's no chatter/wobble in the blade to frog area...well, that should get you started.

Looking forward to some pics, if possible.

It's a great ride.....

Thanks Archie, I will post some pictures tomorrow, shops all closed up for the night. I just didn't know if there was like a website you could go to or something.

try patrick's blood and gore. He has a good description of pretty much every plane stanley made, and most of the planes we find are either made by stanley or of similar design.

Using Patrick's B&G, you'll be able to learn quickly to identify bench planes by their lengths/widths/blade size etc. The block and specialty planes are a little more difficult at first and require a bit more research to ID. Of course, make sure that the number is not already on the plane toe/bed....

Joe, I have Keller's three different times, and never found one plane. Lucky dog you are....

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Callaway View Post
    Joe, I have Keller's three different times, and never found one plane. Lucky dog you are....
    John, I sniffed them out. My wife told me i was a hound dog. I walked to a section and told her, there is a hand plane back here I know it. Walked around the corner and there they were. Each place I went I dug down where I thought they would be and I was right each time!

Here is the group of them together. Paid $50 for all 4. Three were marked 25 and one was marked 20. One is missing the front ball handle and has no name on it. The large one is a Stanley and 2 look just alike. One stanley and one Handyman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the larger one. It was actually listed for $40, not $25. My mistake.

It's a Stanley and the numbers on it read C559B-0 and it might have more numbers underneath the handle.

Here is the Handyman plane. No numbers on it.

Here's the other Stanley. Blue in color and numbers read C556MP

And last but not least, the no name. Looks just like the Stanley and the Handyman.

last one looks like it was made by millers falls, given the lateral adjuster and adjustment knob. It must have been some shock to knock the front knob boss off!

Others here know far more than I, but that looks like a reasonable score for $50. All of them look like they are good candidates for some TLC. Search for plane rehab, restoration etc. They look to be on the newer side from what I can tell 50's or 60's, and my guess is the large one is a #5, then the others are 4's and maybe a 3.

Nice start on the slippery slope. They should tune up to make good users, and even if not, they will be great practice for future gloats...IMO fettling old planes and bringing something back from the dead is a nice way to spend some time.

I will say they are in far better shape than some I have started with.