Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite Pocket knife

Blog Entries

Whats your favorite Pocket knife

I thought this was an appropriate place to ask this question as I use my pocket knife in the shop all the time, and it definitely qualifies as a hand tool. Pocket knives are a bit of a tradition in my family. My dad got me my first for my 10th birthday (an old timer). He got his on his 10 birthday, etc

The reason for asking is I am in the market for a knew pocket knife.
    the one I want right now is a Benchmade 10700 http://www.benchmade.com/products/10700. I have owned a couple of Benchmade knives now. Both a black class and red class benchmite. The only problem I have with the 10700 is it is a red class knife and has Chinese steel. $100 for a Chinese knife sounds steep, but I do like the style.
    I loved both my benchmites but they just tend to get lost a little to easily. My last one disappeared a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure it jumped out of my pocket at a restaurant. Anyway time for something new.

What is your favorite brand and/or model pocket knife for every day carry.

I'm not a big fan of liner locks, but I do generally perfer a single locking blade. I also tend to like a pocket clip but I can easily live without one if the knife is right.

So, whats your pleasure?
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I'm also a big fan of Benchmade folders. I love the Osborne models with the Axis Lock. For my everyday carry, I use a Kershaw Vapor (1640ST) designed by Ken Onion. Although it's a liner lock, it's one of the smoothest I've owned.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I do not like a big hunk in my pocket, so the knife that is always with me is my small Swiss Army knife. About 2" long end to end. It has one cutting blade, a scissors, a nail file small screwdriver, tweezers and a tooth pick. My key ring also has a screw driver, P38 can opener and a bottle opener.

If you are not too far from the restaurant where you think you lost it, you could give them a call to see if one was turned in. You just might get lucky.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

After losing my last Case stockman....

I decided to get a lockblade after having some problems with accidental closures. I ended up getting the Sog Twitch 2. If I recall, it was less than 40 bucks from Amazon. I've read where they are Made in USA. This model is the first knife I've had that is spring-assisted opening. It's a blast to play with and I have actually needed one-handed opening within the past week.

It has a clip, but mine got sprung so I simply removed it (Torx screws) and haven't missed it a bit.

Seems to hold a decent edge. If I lost this one, I would buy another tomorrow.

I carried a Case, 2 bladed folder Bosuns knife, in a belt sheath while in the Navy and untill I lost my hips and had to start wearing Carhartt Bibs, Its a rather large knife, and I bought several at the time. It had steel blades, the newer SS blades weren't worth taking home.

Now I carry a single blade freebee, that has a straight cutting edge often called a castrating blade, as it will double as a marking knife if my marking knife isn't handly.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I like the Columbia River Knife and Tool KISS. Small, light, quick, the tanto blade works well for opening packages and the single bevel makes it a decent marking knife. Holds an edge forever.
    Darnell

Between 90% of my use for a pocket knife (packing materials), and things like courthouses, airports, etc., I prefer just to carry one with a replaceable utility knife blade.

And so I don't lose them going through some checkpoint mumbo jumbo, my old Leatherman, and Gerber, are both kept one each, in a vehicle, for emergency/tool use.

Here's what you need to know:

http://www.benchmade.com/images/table_blade_steels.gif

Note that 440 Stainless Steel is not on that list. You'll pay for blades made of steels in that table, but you won't be doing much sharpening.

I don't yet have the pocket knife I want, but I'm close. I have the style I like, but not the correct steel yet. Mine's a Boker Avtomat--yep, that's a switc...uhhh...I can open it one-handed. I'll probably get something similar from Gerber or Benchmade in S30V stainless.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I carry a Benchmade 3550 automatic or a Benchmade Griptilian 550 (usually in back pocket for easy access). I keep some sort of Leatherman on my belt for general utility stuff.

I was a big fan of the "Old Timer" made by Schrade with carbon steel blades but they are no longer made and mine is lost. Recently I have been using a Gerber with a single 2 1/2+" blade that is made in the USA. It is in the 25 -30 dollar range and is well made and very light and flat in the pocket.

Gerber L.S.T. LST Fine Edge
    Mfg. #22-06009
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had one of these in my pocket for most of 20 years now.

It's sad, but I need a philips screwdriver more often than I need a corkscrew.

I keep the blades sharp enough for whittling and I filed off the key ring stud. The other tools come in handy frequently.

Unfortunately, I've left at least two knives at the TSA station.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I always carry two

the little Victorinox SAK and the Lee Valley Laguiole, a real beauty. I've carried the latter for the last 15 years.

Prior to that, I carried a Spyderco Delica and a Buck Esquire, both single-bladed slim knives.

Prefer a Case 4 blade congress 6488, but I don't want to put the wear on the ones I have. That leaves the Buck Stockman 3 blade as my carry knife.

i have been carrying the same leatherman for a while now. my grandmother gave it to me almost 20 years ago. it's not in my pocket per se, but i do love it. irreplacable for dismantling planes and tools at markets and auctions.

it upset me to find out that they don't make it any more- they're all covered in plastic now

Fallkniven Fan

I like my Fallkniven U2. It has a blade made from the new powder steel formula and keeps an edge really a long time. About $55.

I also have an Al Mar D2 KA-BAR that's a very close second.

I can recommend either one very highly.