Thread: Stanley #8 Type 9/10 replacement frog & possible Gloat?

Stanley #8 Type 9/10 replacement frog & possible Gloat?

Where's the best place to get a replacement? I have a plane that's in fair condition other wise and would like to avoid making it a franken-plane.
    Last edited by brian c miller; 06-29-2010 at 6:35 PM.

Brian, you need to see if it is type 9 or type 10...they are different. 9 has no adjustment screw, 10 has the adjustment screw. If you are patient, keep an eye on eBay auctions, as frogs do come up from time to time. There are also a couple of parts sellers there, you could ask one of them if they have the part available. I usually look for trashed/rusty/broken planes if I need a specific part, they are usually cheap.

Blog Entries
    There may also be a difference between and early type 9 and a later type 9.

The type 10 and later are all interchangeable with a little fettling. Type 9 may be a unique type with some variations as to the size of the slot in the bottom of the frog which relates to the size of the rib cast in the base.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There's no frog adjustment so that means it a 9.

I got it and the following all for 300... not sure if it's gloatable:

#8 - T9
    #7c - T8-9
    #6 - T15
    #5 1/2 - T8-9
    #5 - T9
    #4 - T11
    #3 - T9
    #71 - Chrome Plated
    #190 -???

All are in fair condition, the #3 has a broken tote and the #8 has a broken frog. I am trying to decide what to do: I can return the lot for a full refund, return just the #8 and get a $110 partial refund or keep it and just find another frog.

I have a basic set (4,5,7) already so I didn't really need these... but you know how is goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brian c miller; 06-29-2010 at 6:35 PM.

How bad is the frog? Depending on what the problem is, you might be able to get by with it as-is.

It is broken just above the depth adjuster, it is useable but no lateral...

Brian,

You can do lateral adjust with a small hammer or piece of wood - not so bad after the few moments it takes to get used to it. If the plane works well in it's current state, you are home free and clear. As to your haul, I would certainly consider it worth a gloat. Nice stuff!!

-Jerry

Agreed--you can get by without the lateral while shopping for a replacement frog. That said, for $110 I'd have to seriously think about it.

Brian, it sounds like a pretty fair deal for the planes. You can probably get an intact working #8 for $110 or less on the auction site. As others have said, you can get by without the lateral lever also.

Brian,

the type 9 #8 is super rare. type 9 was imo stanley's best frog design but i think they only had it for a few years. that and the fact that a #8 frog is unique among the bench planes means you'll be waiting a while. I also know one other guy on this site who wants a type 9 #8 frog...

if you return the 8 for 110 then you're still doing well.

11. So you're the one who got that lot..... Congrats. I was watching it, but I'm a miller falls kind of guy.....