Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck envy

Question Chuck envy

I have been envying those with chucks.
    Then, my wife said: 'What would you like for Xmas?'

So, I'm researching chucks. Can you tell me a bit about chucks, types, costs, brands, etc. that might help me choose one?

-- joe
    I am: new wood turner, been turning pens/bowls/ornaments, and own a Rockwell 46-111 wood lathe ... and I'm cheap :-)

Without any more information from you, I would say the best, most cost effective chuck is the Talon. The Best ever is the Stronghold, but expensive.

Bruce

Joe I just went though this myself. I found the two companies that made the best selling pro chucks. Teknatool---SuperNova and Oneway --Talon. I looked for months and ran into the SuperNova last week on sale for $175.00. I bought it as a matter of fact it's still sitting on my desk.
    I am trying to get a couple of things done in the shop before I get back to turning bowls.
    I am sure there are others out there but these two seemed the best.
    Oh because I mentioned buying one---Pic is required by the Police
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Joe -

Another vote for the Talon. Various acessory jaws are available to hold different sized pieces.

Just finished running off a couple of wooden pulls (knobs) with mine.

Ted

I don't know the budget but I bought a SuperNova from KMS tools on Ebay (they have their own site as well) and could not have gotten more for the money. I priced everything I got from them at other sources and it was all in the $500 PLUS range. From KMS it was $300. Shipping was fast and they now have the Suprnova2 which looks really nice. I would say that the Oneways chucks are nicer than my original Supernova but I made out like a fat rat and have accessories that I would otherwise try to do without rather than spend the money. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I have no affiliation just liked there price AND service.

A friend and I both bought a PSI Import chuck. I might as well have thrown $80.00 out my truck window as I drove down the Freeway. I couldn't get it to hold. Everytime you turned around (No pun intended) you were having to re-chuck the piece because it was loose or worse it would throw the piece across the shop. After a week of this I bought the Oneway Talon and have never looked back. I have even hung a tool pretty good and not knocked it off center (external clamping). Neither Art nor I have any enemies we are willing to give the PSI chucks to. Figured I'd wait and use it on the trot line this summer.
    Craig Fyock

Member: Dallas Area Woodturnes
    Hunt County Woodturners

Thanks to all those who sacrifice to keep us safe and free!!!

Sorry forgot. The one I got was around 200.00 w/1 set of jaws
    Craig Fyock

Member: Dallas Area Woodturnes
    Hunt County Woodturners

Thanks to all those who sacrifice to keep us safe and free!!!

I have the Talon it has worked very well for me!
    Jim

I to have the Talon and have nothing but great comments on it.

Andy

Who do you recommned as a source for the Oneway Talon chucks?

You can buy oneway products right from them I think the site is WWW.ONEWAY.CA Their service is as good as their tools.

Joe,
    It may seem trivial, but the two brands require different tenons. The Technatool ones, Nova and Supernova use dovetailed tenons and the Oneway use straight tenons. I had a chance to try both at a class, and preferred the straight one. MHO, and it may not matter to you, but for some it is a consideration.

Mark

Talon is also my recommendation...and I prefer the straight jaws of the OneWay over the dovetail jaws on the new SuperNova II (and SuperNova). As to where to buy, there are plenty of sources, but I most often by OneWay accessories directly from OneWay. No shipping cost and good service.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've seen this a couple of times now, people prefering the straight tennon. Why? Wouldn't the dovetail shaped jaws have more holding power? Just curious.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young
    I've seen this a couple of times now, people prefering the straight tennon. Why? Wouldn't the dovetail shaped jaws have more holding power? Just curious.
    The dovetail jaws can have great holding power...if the dovetail you cut on the workpiece tenon or in a recess is "exactly" to the angles of the chuck. The straight jaws with serations on the OneWay chucks are more forgiving and easier to accomodate since you only need a straight tenon or straight recess...the latter could even be provided with a forstner bit in a tricky blank.