Thread: best place to purchase McNaughton Coring System

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

best place to purchase McNaughton Coring System

I wanted to poll everyone and see where the best price can be found for the McNaughton system. I am open to buy a used system also. I have a 16" lathe and only need the standard set.

Thanks

Lee Valley...best price I have seen. Wonderful folks to deal with.
    Last edited by Carole Valentine; 07-01-2010 at 8:49 AM. Reason: added info

CSUSA is closing out 16" Oneway hollowing sytem. Look under closeouts on their home page.

Lee Valley doesnt sell the M8 version. Is there a big reason to pay the extra ~$70 at CSUSA for the M8.

All the oneway systems on closeout are sold out.

The mark 8 system has a completely different tool post, which is adjustable. The original system has some design issues--the cutter doesn't always stay on center as you advance through the cut, and with the mark 8 system, you can adjust the parallel of the cutter so that it stays at the right height. It also has a hollowing gate so that if you're using the mcnaughton hollowers OR any other type of boring bar for that matter, you can use it as a gate to keep the cutters from diving and catching. The extra $70 is worth it, IMHO. I'm actually purchasing the tool post myself as a replacement for the standard set I've had for a few years.

thanks for the notes on the M8. Is there anywhere else that sells the M8 version other than CSUSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    The mark 8 system has a completely different tool post, which is adjustable. The original system has some design issues--the cutter doesn't always stay on center as you advance through the cut, and with the mark 8 system, you can adjust the parallel of the cutter so that it stays at the right height. It also has a hollowing gate so that if you're using the mcnaughton hollowers OR any other type of boring bar for that matter, you can use it as a gate to keep the cutters from diving and catching. The extra $70 is worth it, IMHO. I'm actually purchasing the tool post myself as a replacement for the standard set I've had for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Massman View Post
    Lee Valley doesnt sell the M8 version. Is there a big reason to pay the extra ~$70 at CSUSA for the M8.

All the oneway systems on closeout are sold out.
    The standard system in the picture at Lee Valley is the M8 system. That's where I got mine from.

Sorry I missed that. I just guessed that them being that much lower that it would be the older version.

thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine View Post
    The standard system in the picture at Lee Valley is the M8 system. That's where I got mine from.

Glad I looked at this thread again. At that price, I'm just going to get a whole new system. I don't think I'll be ordering any mcnaughton tools from craft supplies anymore. Lee Valley's prices are MUCH lower--like 25% lower!!!!!!!

I emailed Lee Valley recently with the same question and they replied, promptly I might add, that they are selling the latest model.

I just placed my order at Lee Valley. I also ordered two of their economy 1/2 bowl gouges @$25.

Groan. I JUST placed an order with CSUSA....... I probably would have saved 15 or 20 bucks...... I stopped looking after the first 2 items were significantly cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. I always thought of them as having hand tools. Never thought of checking for woodturning tools. They do have great service too.

LV also has a free shipping until July 11. Not free for Kyle in HI of course, but would have been reduced by $13.50. Sorry Kyle....I feel your pain...BTDT!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Groan. I JUST placed an order with CSUSA....... I probably would have saved 15 or 20 bucks...... I stopped looking after the first 2 items were significantly cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. I always thought of them as having hand tools. Never thought of checking for woodturning tools. They do have great service too.
    Kyle,
    You might want to check the following from CSUSA website
    Low Price Guarantee- We constantly compare our prices to other companies to make sure we offer you the best possible price. If you find a lower price elsewhere, we'll match or beat that price! See terms below.
    *Terms of Price Match Guarantee:
    • The product being sold must be in new, factory condition from an authorized dealer.
    • The item is not a closeout, clearance, below-cost loss leader or bulk quantity item.
    • The product is immediately available for purchase and is listed at its correct price (ie. The list price is not a typographical error).
    • This offer may not be used in combination with any other promotional offer. Craft Supplies USA reserves the right to refuse any order or price match if the preceding terms are not met or cannot be verified.