Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hollow Form

New Hollow Form

Hello All,

This is a piece of hackberry that is 7-1/2 inches tall by 6-1/2 inches. The shape is a little unorthodox, but I like it. It is finished with wax and blo. I would appreciate feedback on this piece, if don't like it, fine tell me why. 3/16 wall thickness, personally one of my favorites.

Regards, Steve

PS You won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice piece of wood, excellent job on the globular form but a little straight where it goes into the foot. I am not particularly fond of footed bowls, and HFs. This would probably work better for me if the form visually completed the bottom of the sphere more and you created a bead separating the foot from the globe.

Of course I haven't had much luck with HFs myself lately. I am waiting delivery of a steady rest and purchase of probably an articulated arm hollowing tool next month to try too much. I do have one small item and a stave piece I will hollow when I get the steady rest. My image manipulation ability is not up to showing you what I am talking about, but I will give it a try even though its surely too late to modify this piece, it will illustrate my idea.

Do you use a hollowing rig or hand held tools?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Nicely done. If you like it, it's a good piece. The wood is gorgeous. I agree with Thom's sentiment about the bottom of the curve and the foot. I think one of the reasons that I often don't like feet on forms is that I struggle to figure out how to make them pleasing to my eye. I see lots of pieces with feet that I really like, but I have trouble turning things with feet that I like. All in all, you've done a really nice job with this piece of wood.

Great piece of wood and nice shape. Maybe more curve at the bottom and a smaller foot?

Steve, first of all, that wood looks like it was challenging, and you conquered it very well!

Vase forms are generally not appealing to me, but some do have intrigue about them. For me, and I do mean just ME, it takes something unique on a vase form to draw my attention. For that reason, I do agree on the bottom area, transitioning to the foot, and perhaps a little more "break" between the form and foot by way of curvature and demarcation (bead, etc.)

But, you did an excellent job on this one, and if you like it, then odds are, you are not the only one out there. Turners don't generally buy woodturnings. While the opinions I receive here on my pieces matter a great deal to me, it always amazes me when others see them and quickly chose one as a favorite that I didn't particularly care for, or that other creekers found not "just right."

So, it really comes down to a matter of personal taste. If the piece is "clean" and finished well (and it looks like it is), then I think you have a winner!!

Well, Steve, I like a lot of turned pieces that, as John says, are found not "just right"... There's something about this one that I think doesn't fit the "norm", and that makes it appealing to me. It's an unusual piece. There are some parts of the "rule of thirds" that are bypassed in the formation of this one. The wood is gorgeous, and the sanding and finish seems to be very well done.
    I like it.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

First of all I want to thank everyone for their unput and to answer the question, I use a Jamieson hollowing tool to hollow larger pieces.

I see the point of making a more spherical piece and delineating it from the foot with a bead, or using no foot at all. I turned this one intentionally with the flow from the foot. I like the feel and the look of the piece.

I do take the points you have made. I just happen to like this piece as it is. I am taking it to a show next month, I'll see if anyone else likes it.

Regards, Steve

Good luck on the show. I had to look at the piece for awhile but after I did it started to "grow" on me. Agree with you, if you like it then that is really what matters. Let us know how the show goes.

Beautiful wood! Interesting form! Wasn't 100% with the form growing into a foot - but the more I look at it, the more I like it!

Best of luck with your show! Hope everything sells!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Steve your comment about the shape being a little unorthodox is interesting. Some turners are also shaped a little unorthodoxical...myself included. I like the piece you have done well the wood is very nice too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Okay, I'll swim against the tide. I really like the form and think the foot is perfect flowing from the form. It makes the whole piece look a little like a fun cartoon character ala the Mr. Men and Little Misses.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

My wife likes footed pieces and she would prefer your beautiful bowl to a classically rounded one. Ultimately, what pleases you should rule.... Of course, in my household my wife decides what should please me.

Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Steve great looking piece out of really nice wood. My wife also likes pieces with a foot on them. Don't know why but she does.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like this one a lot too. It seems almost like a viscous fluid in it's flow from top to foot.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

the beauty of this endeavor is that there is no right or wrong only personal preference

well executed piece and a very nice piece of wood