Thread: newbie question about focusing lens

newbie question about focusing lens

From the photos of focusing lens I've seen online, they look amber and transparent. When I take mine out to clean it (from a used laser engraver I just bought recently) it's much darker and reflective, like a mirror. Is this normal, a different type of lens, or is it time to replace it?

Dark and reflective doesnt sound good at all - what laser and can you post a pic or the lens ( use some white well lit paper behind it so we can see the colour of the lens) - ie light the paper and NOT the lens so we can see the lit paper. Light source pointing on paper behind the lens.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Oh this isn't so bad, maybe we've found our problem with loss of power? If the lens needs to be replaced, I'm just thankful to have found the problem.

I'm attaching a couple of pics. The first is the lens still in the tube, reflecting the camera like a perfect mirror. In the 2nd photo (that looks like a solar eclipse) I took the lens out and laid it on a tissue on top of a flashlight. Very little, if any, light is getting through.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, the laser engraver is a Chinese (Rabbit) 9060, 60-watt.

I suspect that is a huge part of your problem. Many times cutting and engraving problems are related to optics issues. I inspect mine every other day or so. Good luck, I hope this is the root cause of your problems.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thanks, I am hoping this is the problem too! Any recommendations on where to buy a replacement?

I took another pic of the lens laying on a tissue. The color is almost purple. The "smudge" on it is actually a reflection of the ceiling fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone ever heard of a Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) lens? This looks like what I have... purplish and reflective.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...s_for_CO2.html

http://www.americanphotonics.com/gaas.php
    Last edited by Linda Smith Alabama; 06-18-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Linda:
    James Jaragosky is the Sawmill Creek resident expert on Rabbit lasers. He has one (maybe two) of them. Send him a PM and ask his advice on this. He is very helpful and has owned one of these machines for quite a while now and has acquired a lot of knowledge about them.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

wow that doesn't look anything like the dirtiest lens i've ever seen. maybe it's a different material? being infrared, the beam may pass through something that looks totally opaque to the human eye. ever seen the "black" window on the front of an IR TV remote control?

ZnSe is the common material for lenses, but perhaps there are alternate materials that are being used?

EDIT: just saw the post two above - sounds like you have identified the lens as GaAs

Yes, I'm sure it's a GaAs lens, looks just like the pics and description. Not sure if it needs to be replaced or not, and if so should I get another one like this or the more common ZnSe? I don't know if there's an advantage to the GaAs lens. Hope it was ok to clean it with acetone, that's what I've been using when I thought I had a "regular" lens!

Thanks Larry, I PM'd him.

I get my optics and mirrors from Laser Resourse. I believe they are a member here. Maybe you can give them a try.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Thermal distortion

Linda, I know that you have sent me a pm with this question; However I think it would help if I answer it here for others to see and add their expertise.

The standard lens that was most likely supplied with your machine is the Zinc Selenide, the GaSa lens is more expensive and is usually recommended for harsh environments.
    I have no hands on experience with the GaSa mirrors, However I have read about them and from what I have gathered you GaSa lens should work as well as an ZnSe lens if both have been manufactured to proper quality specifications.

Because the previous owner has changed the lens type, I would check the mirrors as well. Poor quality mirrors can and will cause Thermal distortion. poorly made mirrors or lenses can both cause thermal distortion.

Thermal distortion:
    A gold coated copper mirror has such high heat conductivity the temperature gradients on the surface are small, and the resulting distortion is insignificant. It also happens in a time scale of milliseconds, so the mirror reacts instantly to the beam being turned on and off.
    A ZnSe coated mirror has 40 X more optical distortion than a gold coated copper mirror. This can cause the focus to shift and the spot size to alter with changes in power. More annoying is the time scale this happens in, around 20 - 40 seconds. So the laser drifts and shifts quite noticeably during the work.

This would be my best guess as to why you have better cutting quality at a lower power setting.

Please keep us advised to what you find out.
    Best Regards
    Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post

This would be my best guess as to why you have better cutting quality at a lower power setting.

Please keep us advised to what you find out.
    Best Regards
    Jim J.
    OK. In a nutshell, if cutting better in a lower power is better, then what do I need to get back to full power cutting? A new set of mirrors? Maybe a new focus lens? I have 60 watts and I want it at full power when its needed.