Thread: 5 hole sanding discs on an 8 hole pad?

5 hole sanding discs on an 8 hole pad?

Edit: I did a lousy job of titling this post. Should be: 5 hole sanding discs on an 8 hole pad.

I've got quite a supply of 5" H & L sanding discs I've been using with a couple of old PC random orbit sanders (model 333 I think). Unfortunately, the old sanders are about ready to die. I'm finding it difficult to find a new ROS that takes 5 hole sanding discs but of course, want to continue to use the 5 hole H & L discs at least until the current supply is gone. I realize I could probably still find a PC model 333 but I'd like to keep my options open for other brands and models of new sanders which almost always come with 8 hole pads. Options as I see it:

1) find a source of replacement pads with 5 holes for different sander brands that would allow me to take off the 8 hole pad that comes with the new sander (whatever brand it might be) and put on the 5 hole pad.

2) find some sort of punch that when pressed onto a 5 hole disc will cut the 8 hole pattern into the 5 hole disc.

Can anyone point to a solution?

Thanks,
    Gary Zook
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-02-2010 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Edited title

Just stick them on and use them. The dust collection isn't very good compared to a dedicated 8 hole disk but they work fine.

You could also get a punch and punch your own holes.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

You can make your own punch- just drive some large nails or screws through a board cut to the size of your pad in the places you want the holes, make a die to back up the pad with out of another board and drilled holes, and you've got yourself a punch.

Even though you said the old sander was dying, PC makes a replacement pad that accepts both 5 and 8 hole disks. One of my local dealers no longer stocks the five hole pad, only the combo pad.

Buy this (Platen Protector) http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...71&cat=1,42500

and continue to use your 5 hole on a new sander until you run out.

I feel your pain. I still have the 333 sander, but when it started making funny noises I decided to get the newer PC sander; I think it is the 390 with 8 hole sanding pad. Only problem is I still have a mountain of 5-hole paper. I guess I could make some kind of punch to make more holes.