Thread: "lemon" oil on top of shellac = whitening?

"lemon" oil on top of shellac = whitening?

I know that "lemon" oil is just lemon-scented mineral oil.

Question: if a piece of wood is finished with shellac, will applications of lemon oil over the shellac cause the shellac whiten or discolor?
    Last edited by jonathan king; 07-02-2010 at 9:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry to answer aquestion (especially one I cannot answer) with another question but, why would you? Shellac is a sealer and I don't know that any oil would give you the result you are after. I do use a paste wax after shellac about half the time without issue if that is any help (Johnson's Paste Wax). I do appreciate your question and will be curious as to the responses ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I doubt that it will discolor the shellac but I don't know why you wouldn't use wax.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What else was put on the shellac surface before the oil?

That's what most likely turned white.

The "French Polish" technique uses shellac and mineral oil as the lube to apply the shellac.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

That's what most likely turned white.

Nothing has turned white yet. I'm just wondering if the mineral oil will discolor the shellac.

I've shellacked a scrap piece of wood and will hit it with lemon oil to see what happens.

Why the lemon oil?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.