Thread: Top Coat for Steam Radiator Covers

Top Coat for Steam Radiator Covers

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first real post if you will...

I have been working on making new radiator covers for our home and realized something the other day... what sort of clear finish can I apply to them that won't bubble/boil off?

I have used poplar in the construction, stained with a cherry Minwax oil based stain to match the color of the rest of the house's work work. I am afraid that using a clear polyurethane may bubble with the extreme heat that comes out of these radiators... so does anyone have a recommendation or two as to what I can use on top of the stain? Or can the poly handle the heat?

Thanks in advance, I hope to post pictures as soon as we come up with a solution to the top coat issue.

Tim Brodeur

a penetrating oil varnish will likely yield the best results. something like the tried and true brand linseed oil/natural resin varnishes.

anything that builds a film will tend to alligator/bubble/separate when the heat gets to it.

An oil/varnish blend OR stainless steel...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.