Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to cut long boards, would you use TS or MS?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

to cut long boards, would you use TS or MS?

I am getting close to building a tall built in bookcase where the ceilings are about 9 feet high. I don't know if I will use solid lumber for the vertical elements or plywood and try to veneer them.

Question though is assuming I have ripped the verticals down to about 12" depth, would you recommend trying to cut them to length using a table saw and some kind of sled or a sliding miter saw? Thanks.

James

If you already have both tools, I'd go with the Sliding Miter Saw with a good blade!

Yep if you have it a sliding miter. IF you can stretchit (IE your saw will do more than 12") Create a zero clearence back stop. This will keep tearout to a minimum.

My TS is more accurate than my CMS so the majority of the time I lean towards my TS, but for very long lengths the miter saw is the right tool for the job.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

CMS for sure

I have a nice sled that I built shortly after I got the new table saw. But I hardly use it. I use the sliding miter saw for everything that will fit. The sled is used for anything over 12". The miter saw is too easy and quick to use.

That's the reason I hang on to the old and trusty RAS.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

This is what RASs do best! But in leiu of that, your SCMS should do the job. It's only drawback is width of cut. Take time to set it up for a perfect 90deg. cut. And use a good cutoff blade. General purpose blades will only butcher your bookcase stock.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I'm with the SCMS on this one. Even with a good sled and hold downs, that's a lot of wood hanging off that could turn this way or that and mess up your cut.

I've crosscut long boards on my TS, with my miter extended to its full length for support. SCMS or RAS is the tool of choice.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use my table saw because it's more accurate. It has better blade selection too. Table saw and a simple sled would be my recommendation.
    Last edited by Gary Muto; 07-05-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
    Gary

How about - neither?

Perfect task for the TS55EQ track saw or the EZ.

+1 for the RAS or Miter saw.
    Mike Harrison

Blog Entries
    I would use an SCMS or circ-saw and shop made guide and I almost never use either. ;-) I have a few sleds and could do it that way but moving the cutter past a large piece of material like that, instead of vice versa, almost always allows better control, safety and results.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would use a Circular Saw with a guide

I use a guided circular saw for these cuts. In my opinion it's much easier to clamp a guide to a long board and cut it with a circular saw that to wrestle with a long board in a table saw (even in a sled). I used to use a shop built guide with my circular saw. Since I purchased a Festool, I use their system with works great for me.