Thread: Dining room table

Dining room table

Got this from the web, tho I think it originally was a Family HandyMan mag article. It's a dining room table built with materials you can buy from your local box store, tho I couldn't find many of the parts at HD or Lowe's. Go figure.

The trick of it is using manufactured flooring (you could also use genuine wood flooring) as the top of the table, laid down over plywood, with oak trim surrounding it. The legs called for in the article were actually cut down newell posts, but I found pine legs fairly cheap at HD and used those. The flooring material I found came from Lowe's and was on a 90% off sale, so I'd picked up 5 boxes for $2.57 each (originally $25.75). The oak trim and plywood were scraps from my shop. I made the dentil molding you see on the apron and the piece under the dentil is 1/2 x 1 stock with a roundover on one side and a core box cut on the other side. Makes for a nice detail and used up some otherwise worthless scrap oak.

All totaled, I probably spent $80 for materials for a very nice dining room table. Next I'll be making 4 chairs from a pattern used at the El Tovar Hotel at the Grand Canyon.

Gotta love being a woodworker - our houses have nicer furniture than the richest man in town - and even he couldn't buy what we make, because no one sells our quality of work.

BTW - for anyone curious about the plans, they're still downloadable. Go here:

http://www.rd.com/images/offer/fh/pr...rvestTable.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patrick, looks like you ended up with a very nice and functional table, for not much money!! Nice work. Look forward to seeing the chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Nice work. Look forward to seeing the chairs.
    Thanks, John. I'll be starting them, and a schoolhouse clock this weekend. The chairs are something I've never built before, and I'm looking forward to doing that.

Patrick your table looks very nice. Thanks for the link LOML wants me to build a kitchen table and that is one I will consider. Pat