Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help with angles....

Math?! That's the last thing I would want to do! And I have done a little math.

The problem with all of this, as I see it, is that even if you could calculate a 22.385772 (or whatever) angle, how are you going to measure it.

In my tool kit, I have 90 degrees, 45 degrees (on square and combination square), and I have a scales on my saws, and bevel gauges (many).

The easy way for me to do something like this is to take a piece of solid stock, rip it to the roof angle, lay the flat sides on the compound miter saw, cut 45 degrees one way, 45 degrees the other way, and you have a solid model of the roof with all the angles saved on it. With this, and a bevel gauge. you pick off angles and set whatever tool you would like to make cuts for the real part.

And the little block of wood can be used later to reproduce the same setup.

I tested the angles that were given by the link's method. It was simple enough on the SCMS, the dual bevel helps. Mine is a bit "heavy" looking because I did it out of scrap 3/4 ply, but the point is the same either way...It does work.
    Attached Images Attached Images