Thread: Roubo style bench build HELP!

Roubo style bench build HELP!

I'm getting ready to pull the triger on my first bench build. I'm planning a Roubo style featured in Schwarz' book. I have had some Ash in storage for this project. I also have some Walnut available. I'm thinking of inserting a couple of pieces of Walnut in the top for contrast with the Ash. Looking at the density and hardness of the two they are not far off. This may not be the absolute correct bench. I just thought it might be interesting. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallaher View Post
    I'm getting ready to pull the triger on my first bench build. I'm planning a Roubo style featured in Schwarz' book. I have had some Ash in storage for this project. I also have some Walnut available. I'm thinking of inserting a couple of pieces of Walnut in the top for contrast with the Ash. Looking at the density and hardness of the two they are not far off. This may not be the absolute correct bench. I just thought it might be interesting. Any thoughts?
    I would try to avoid Walnut for a bench top - it is sort of dark, making your work harder to see. I had a bunch of walnut and ended up building the base out of it, and making the top out of some old 2x12's I had.

I would personally keep the top light also. Would it look good?... probably! Would it distract me... probably! Light stripe.. dark stripe with the mixture would likely draw my attention and the only thing I want to draw my attention is the actual task I am performing on the top.

Good luck with your bench...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I was not going to alternate wood types. I am just thinking of a strip, maybe 6 inches in from each side.

I would add the walnut strip. I usually have so much stuff on my benches I can't see the top anyway. The walnut will make for some nice conversations and it would be different from all the other ones out there. Plus, it's your bench so make it the way you want.

I got ya on the two accent strips now Dave. To reflect on Tim's comment of "it's your bench and you can do anything you want"... of course it is your bench and the decision is your's! You simply ask if anyone had any thoughts on adding the walnut and both Eric and I gave you our thoughts and explained why we wouldn't add it as I read it as alternating the strips which would distract "me".

Adding the racing stripes so to speak wont add any integrity to the bench-top but on the other hand it won't take anything away from the integrity in reality either so again... a personal decision. It would probably be pur-dy! I would personally horde the walnut for a piece of furniture but that is simply a personal thing as I am somewhat frugal when dealing with expensive wood.

Bottom line.. if ya wanna then go for it!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks for the comments. I'm still not sure what the final decision will be. With all the experience on this site I thought it could not hurt to ask. Thanks for your input.