Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Chest on Frame

Curly Cherry Chest on Frame

Hey guys, I haven’t been building anything I thought was worth posting lately. For the most part I have building a lot of variations of pieces I have built before. This piece isn’t an exception but it is the first cherry piece I have built in awhile and I just forgot how much I like cherry and thought I would share it.

This is a variation of the Mary Hoyt chest. Obviously the primary wood is curly cherry and the secondary wood is white pine. For the finish I chemically aged the wood a little and then applied a tung oil varnish mixture followed by shellac and a lacquer top coat.

Diamanwoodcrafters

Dave, you do some unbelievably beautiful work - and, in a remarkably quick fashion!! That cherry literally dances with figure.

Heirloom quality!! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Absolutely gorgeous, the wood is incredible and your finish accents it well.

Beautiful wood - Beautiful craftsmanship!

Outstanding.. the figure in that cherry grabbed me. I picked up a nice piece the other day at my supplier which gives me only 3 at this point. I dig through the pile every trip just looking for highly figured pieces as you have. Beautiful execution of that piece but that appears to be the norm for you from what I have witnessed.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Yes Dave D. that is one nice piece of furn. You also done a nice job on the dovetails. Cherry is my favorite wood to work with. The dawer fronts looks like they came from the same long.

Dave, keep at it, I think you'll make an excellent woodworker one day..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Carl L Goff View Post
    Yes Dave D. that is one nice piece of furn. You also done a nice job on the dovetails. Cherry is my favorite wood to work with. The dawer fronts looks like they came from the same long.

Carl
    Actually the whole piece came from the same log. The drawer fronts all came from the same board. If you notice while the sides and top are not exactly book matched they are made with seq boards from the log so they match up well. I try to buy all my figured material in flitch form so I can do this.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

Another Sweet piece Dave.
    Beautiful work!

That is a truely an amazing piece of craftsmanship. I love the curly cherry and the finish.

Wow, once again - spectacular! What was your build time on this one?

Regards,
    Steve

Blog Entries
    A very beautiful piece. Love the material and the design.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

wow, really nice! I love the figured cherry, but find myself really intrigued by the way you joined the legs on, not masking the pillar from the front... At first I was surprised the front skirt didn't go all the way across and cover the leg joint, but now I find myself enjoying that aspect of it the most! Something about it I didn't expect but quite like--really awesome work!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Curly Cherry - 1st Choice

I think what you have accomplished is notable and I too like the way you attached the legs. But, to me, the great strength of your work is the use of Curly Cherry. I am making a desk out of it now and it has its challenges - matching grains and finish to put it mildly. The other thing is that Curly cherry is expensive - it takes courage to work with. Congratulations!

Stunning piece! I aspire to do work of this caliber some day!

What does your chemical aging process consist of?