Thread: Can I use pcket holes with 1/2" plywood?

Can I use pcket holes with 1/2" plywood?

I searched for this and didn't find it.

Can pocket hole joinery be used with 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood? I assume I would need the micro pocket drill guide accesssory to do this.

I am building a box that will be upholstered. Would I be better off just placing a board inside the corner and screwing into that instead of pocket holes? It doesn't matter that the screws are visible as they will be covered.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely and you do not need the micro jig; save your money. I have made quickie drawers this way for folks. I use the pan head screws, 1" long. For my Mini or my Rocket jig I place the front edge of the jig 3/8" past the edge of the material and set the stop collar 3-5/16 away from the shoulder of the stepped bit. The outer diameter of the pan head screw will end up just a smidge (that's an industry term) below the surface.

As to pockets or not? Pocket holes are supposed to be a bit stronger as they seat the underside of the screw into a flat bottomed hole. The use of the final object would control my decision on fastener selection and method.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think I have a few scraps of 1/2" BB I could experiment with. I have a regular Kreg jig I can test with. I'll just need to run to Rockler for the screws.

I use my K3 jig and put 1/2 ply together all the time! Just have to make sure your bit and jig are set for 1/2, and use the correct screw! And put the joint together slow so that you don't screw too far!
    I didn't do it.....YET!

Absolutely. I've used pocket holes in 3/8" as well. Far left, joining drawer divider frames.

I used the small kreg jig jr. in walnut that was planed down to just a hair under a half inch. It did fine, but I used the pan head screws....and they have a thicker head, which that added with the fact the kreg jig can not compensate for under thickness with the drilling guide, I had maybe a 1/32" or a bit more of the screw head sticking out the edge of the hole, and the walnut plugs wouldnt fit. It wont cause any problems, but next time, I will use the other screws. Also, I would recommend installing the fine thread screws with the lowest speed on your cordless drill/driver. You run them in to fast and they sorta " strip" the wood fibers out. run them in nice and slow and you can see the joint pull tighter and squeeze out just a few more bubbles of glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vantine View Post
    And put the joint together slow so that you don't screw too far!
    +1 on that. An impact driver will absolutely drive that screw until it comes out the show side.......

Blog Entries
    My luck with getting the pan head in 1" at Rockler has been hit and miss. I would call first. My Rockler always has the washer head but never the pan head. If they don't have them, McFeely's has $1 shipping on any order till July 31. You want these for ply: http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0610...-Coarse-Thread

or these for hardwoods:http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0610...hread-Dry-Lube
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-06-2010 at 5:50 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I seem to remember making some quickie drawer boxes out of prefinished 1/2" maple that measured a bit thin of 1/2", maybe .470"? Anyway, I used the 1" panheads, and set the kreg jig to 1/2" material, and either I had a tiny bit of screw tip poking out of my sides, or I had a tiny bit of screw head poking out of the holes interfering with the applied drawer fronts. Real PIA as I recall. My solution was to clip the tips of the screw heads and make it work for the job at hand and play with the drill bit setting to get it just right. I don't remember having that problem in the past, not sure what I was doing wrong or what the issue was, but I will attest to the fact that there is room for error in 1/2" material.

in plywood i would say use either the coarse thread screws or the Kreg hi-lo type fine thread screws are for hardwood coarse thread screws are for softwoods and plywood and yes it does matter to the strength of the joint

pocket holes are great in half inch ply just less room for error is all

I ordered a batch of 1" screws from McFeely's since shipping was only a buck. If they hsip from Madison, WI I should have the screws for the weekend.

Occasionally you have problems getting the 1" screws to bite good but it is certainly workable. I have done entire kitchens from 1/2 material and there are lots of pocket screws holding the face frames on, etc.

You don't have as much meat so you do need to be careful but it works good.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"