Thread: Dust issues in Garage Workshop

Dust issues in Garage Workshop

My garage is my shop. I typically work the the double garage door fully open to give me more light and some breeze. During the summer months I have a 24" fan at the back of the shop blowing toward the door to provide additional circulation. I have a Grizzly 3HP dust collector with a 2 micron filter that I use with each of my big machines and I have a shop vac that I attach to my power sanders when sanding.

Given all that, how much (if any) benefit is there to adding room air filter such as those by JDS?

I have the same situation. Basically, it's just going to make your already noisy shop even noisier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Ludden View Post
    My garage is my shop. I typically work the the double garage door fully open to give me more light and some breeze. During the summer months I have a 24" fan at the back of the shop blowing toward the door to provide additional circulation. I have a Grizzly 3HP dust collector with a 2 micron filter that I use with each of my big machines and I have a shop vac that I attach to my power sanders when sanding. Given all that, how much (if any) benefit is there to adding room air filter such as those by JDS?

Blog Entries
    With the big doors open, I don't know that you would see any benefit. The units rely on being able to recirculate the air. This kinda requires a captive space.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is the garage attached or seperate building? Agree with other postings, unless you're trying to stop any fine dust from settling on things in your shop once you've shut the doors and left it for the night, the air filter units sound like not much help with your regular set-up. 24" fan is pretty big, how much CFM does it move on high speed?
    You're already doing alot with your 3HP dust collector and a shop vac set-up for your hand sanders.
    Have you noticed an accumulation of fine dust settling on things the next morning when you've come back in and turned the lights on?
    I COULD see an air filter unit helping with that, running quietly at low or medium speed for an hour or two to stop the fine dust circulating once you've shut down and the doors are closed.

maybe just use it in the winter. y'know... when the big snows come and you have to close the doors. In Phoenix.

You have a great DC and using a shop vac. We all get some dust.
    If you are getting too much then I would look for the leak or leaks
    in the DC and its' lines and the shop vac. Dust will will be in the area.

Take a look at your tools. A 3 HP collector is enough to get the job done. IMHO, improving the DC at the tool is the next step.

I have a 3 HP Cyclone, a JDS 750-er. The biggest improvement I made was when I added an Excalibur overarm blade guard to my TS. I was completely amazed at the difference it made! Someday, I’ll address my 12” SCMS… but everything else is taken care of.

I forgot to mention that you can attach a simple (and cheap) furnace filter to your fan. Lots of people do it and I hear it works pretty good.