Thread: Grizzly G0633 or G0634 or G0634Z experience?

Grizzly G0633 or G0634 or G0634Z experience?

I am in the market for a full size jointer and am considering the G0634Z.

Does anyone have an experience with either the G0633, G0634 or G0634Z
    combination jointer/planer?

Thanks.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, I know your kinda new around here but this forum has a really cool feature, it is called search just look right above it is between "new posts" and "quick links" and it is called cryptically "search"... Sorry couldn't help but poke my favorite mod and break unwritten SMC netiquette at the same time.

There is a lot of info on it and the Jet and I shopped both for a while, but ultimately decided that I am not a combo guy BUT my decision to go seperates has more to do with the short tables on combo machines than anything else, ~30" of outfeed is just not enough for me when dealing with a long 10"+ wide board. If you are cramped on space it is a different story, but now that you cleaned up the shop it appears you have plenty.

In my shopping I decided on the Jet because of the guard and the way it changes operation BUT they were close enough I would buy the one that could be gotten cheaper, at the time it was the Jet, right now I think it is the Griz. In all my research most users seemed to be happy with both. My only hands on with the Griz was at a show, the Jet I have used at WC. I know youtube has videos of the Jet in action, not sure about the Griz. Also don't forget forum sponser Laguna, they have a line of them and a very nicely priced 16" version.

PS I would also take a hard look at the Hammer while it is on sale though priced a little higher and a spiral cutter head is the only way to go in my opinion, especially on a combo machine due to the fact they get both jointing and planing use so they weae twice as fast.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 07-06-2010 at 9:00 PM.

If you wait long enough, the guy with the first response will dig up every old thread on them and post the exact same message so you won't even have to search.

I looked at them about 2 years ago and was quite interested. In the end I bought old iron separates to restore but every review I read was overall favorable. I think the Jet vs Grizzly comes down to the fence and easy of changeover. IIRC the Griz has a little nicer fence but it hast to be removed for changeover. The Jet doesn't have to be removed but uses more aluminum and stamped metal parts. Not to say the Jet has a bad fence, and it seemed solid at the one I looked at in person, just that that implies lesser strength than CI to me.

Having now owned a G0634Z for a few months, I'll chime in a bit. Major caveat: in spite of that (fairly) significant purchase, I'm still quite the novice with wood crafts. However, I have produced some decent work since the machine arrived. Some comments:

Regarding having to remove the fence with each changeover. yes, it's true, and it takes about 20 seconds. My biggest gripe is keeping a space clear to set it down. For a while, when I reinstalled the fence, I would double-check for square. As far as I could tell, it never budged. I stopped checking.

Changeover is fairly quick, overall. Resetting my dust collector hose is the hardest part. Oh, and it's a bit tedious to bring the planer table up or down. But, again, only a few seconds. Maybe I'm just not in a rush, so these things don't bother me. (The advantage of being a hobbyist.)

Tuneup was fairly easy upon arrival. Actually, it took me a while, but I was being quite careful, as I am new to such machines. I believe I have it dialed in properly, and I'm getting good results.

Another poster mentioned the cutters not overlapping? I never really considered it, but when I run a board through, I'm not aware of any uncut areas. If the inserts really didn't overlap sufficiently, wouldn't there be ridges left?

In that same post, regarding the cutter replacement cost: Keep in mind that each carbide insert can rotate to four positions, so you effectively have the first three replacements built in. I suppose that's common, but still, replacement cost doesn't seem like a big deal. They also give you a handful of inserts with the machine.

I'm still learning to handle tricky wood. I was working with some sapele, and tearout was a problem. It was pretty squirrely grain, so I don't entirely blame my lack of skill. With a batch of poplar I used for some painted cabinets, the J/P was a champ. Surfaces weren't paint-ready, but certainly didn't need much sanding.

Definitely worth having an outfeed roller. The jointer table is fairly long, but running a 84 inch board does require a bit of help. (I don't have a roller; I use my wife!)

So, in summary: From my very amateurish perspective, it is a great machine!

Hi Ken, I have a combination jointer/planer (Hammer A3-31) and am extremely happy with it.

I've heard many people comment on the short jointer table length, it hasn't been an issue for me with material up to about 70" long.

After that I clip on the infeed and outfeed extension tables, works great, I made some 11" X 96" baseboard pieces without issue.

I don't know what your shop is like, mine is small and many of the combination machines had a fence mechanism that stuck out the rear of the machine, effectively doubling the space required. Not what I would I would expect from a machine designed to optimise space consumption.

I don't have an insert head on mine, I use the Hammer quick change cobalt knives, they last a very long time, and take about 1 minute per knife to change.

Surface finish is superb and the planer has zero snipe.

On the Hammer the table extension can clip on the outfeed side of the planer, it's a nice feature as I get slower.

I also have the digital height gauge on my planer which allows you to make a replacement piece for a project after I've screwed up one of the pieces, without fussing with setup or measurement. Not that it ever happens to me of course.

Van asked me in another thread if I would have bought separate machines instead of a combo if I had the space and the money, I think the answer is yes, however I have no good reason for that decision.

My combo machine works as well as the General machines it replaced, at far less cost, in fact I sold the used planer and jointer for more than I paid for the A3-31, and went from an 8" jointer to a 12".

Have fun with the decision making Ken..........Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Ken,

I've been reading this thread with some interest.

The first thing that jumps out at me about a jointer/planer is the tables are pretty short. I can appreciate Rod's view that he can do about a 6 ft board with the standard tables and for longer pieces he can clip on some table extensions. Are table extensions available for the Grizzly because I would think this will be needed on occasion?

As for the Byrd Head, I've noticed on similar threads several Hammer/Felder owners say they dont need them on their machines. The standard blades cut well enough and are easy to change.

Just my.02 but If it were me I would look closely at the Hammer A3-31. It seems to be a very popular machine with several very happy owners.

I'm not sure what they cost though? I think about $3K.

PHM

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I am in the market for a full size jointer and am considering the G0634Z.

Does anyone have an experience with either the G0633, G0634 or G0634Z
    combination jointer/planer?

Thanks.
    Hi Ken,

There's always talk about quick change straight blade systems in European machines, but the spiral's the way to go if you plan on using any exotic woods. I have used the Leitz super sharp straight blade system and when planing or jointing curly Koa, maple or Quilted maple, the spiral insert type cutterheads left a better finish and less tearout. Just depends what kind of woods you are planning on working with.

Also, with insert heads, you do not need to change or turn all of the inserts, just the ones affected, so if there is a hidden nail or small stone in your wood, it would only affect a few inserts and you only turn those. With straight blades you either have to alternate shift them to avoid the nick or regrind them. Nothing you haven't heard before on this site.