Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thos Moser: Edo Trestle Dining Table

Thos Moser: Edo Trestle Dining Table

I love this table and would really like to build it.

http://www.thosmoser.com/category/di...duct_images=0/

Does anyone know where I can find plans for this table? I found a sketchup drawing that is pretty good, but it does not describe the joinery.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you ever build that table?

Quote Originally Posted by Effram Herskovitz View Post
    I love this table and would really like to build it.

http://www.thosmoser.com/category/di...duct_images=0/

Does anyone know where I can find plans for this table? I found a sketchup drawing that is pretty good, but it does not describe the joinery.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Efram,
    Did you ever find the shop drawings for that Moser Edo dining table, and did you build it with or without the drawings? I think it's beautiful and would like to make one like it but don't have even the sketchup drawing you mentioned.
    Thanks.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Putzel View Post
    Efram,
    Did you ever find the shop drawings for that Moser Edo dining table, and did you build it with or without the drawings? I think it's beautiful and would like to make one like it but don't have even the sketchup drawing you mentioned.
    Thanks.
    Michael
    A sketchup model is available from Google. Open sketchup. Then open the Components window, and search with "Moser Edo". There's a whole bunch of Thos Moser models there, so I think they were supplied by Thos Moser. That is, the outlines and dimensions are probably prettyreliable. But as the OP says, there's no description of the joinery. Moser is probably trying to make these available to architects and interior decorators, not woodworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Moser is probably trying to make these available to architects and interior decorators, not woodworkers.
    This is true. I did that drawing as well as many of the others they have on the 3D Warehouse. Although I have the dimensions, it was not drawn to use for building and the dimensions in the model are only approximate and there's not real joinery because that would just make the file larger.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 06-04-2011 at 9:07 AM.

Hi Michael

I never could find that plan and am holding off on building the table until I have time to spend at a Moser store to try to work out the joinery.

Here is a link to the sketchup file:
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...783a44a88d6274

Let me know if you build it.

Good luck

Yes, Effram. That's the model I made.

Would it matter if the joinery isn't identical?

Dave

Well done on the model! I was wondering who made it.

It does not matter if the joinery isn't identical, but I want to make it to last and I may not get it right unless I am following a plan or at least have a very good idea of how Thos Moser put it together.

Effram,
    You should send Thomas Moser an email and ask about the table. Just be sure to tell him that you want to build it for yourself, not to resell. I saw him speak once at the Bard Graduate Center in NYC during their Shaker exhibit and he seemed pretty laid back; and he was once a small-time furniture maker just like many of us!
    His business model is just short of genius---if anyone is not familiar with it he's skipped wholesaling completely, instead he just opened his own stores in the highest-rent districts of the most expensive cities across the US. And I've only been into the store in DC (in Georgetown) so I don't know about the others but in DC the people working there are super nice, friendly, down to earth folks. Not exactly what you'd expect from a high-end store in Georgetown!
    When I told them that I build furniture they were very interested in what style furniture, woods, etc.
    Remember, copying someones work for your own use (not to profit!!) is the highest form of flattery!
    Jeff

You could also become a customer-in-residence. What a cool idea.

http://www.thosmoser.com/page.php?pa...ence%20Program

10. I have officially been 'assigned' by my wife to build this table - we've had our eye on it for a while, and I've got a pile of walnut just waiting for a project.

As for the joinery, has anyone yet figured out what the details are? I'm trying to figure out how to properly build this beautiful piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Koutsovitis View Post
    I have officially been 'assigned' by my wife to build this table - we've had our eye on it for a while, and I've got a pile of walnut just waiting for a project.

As for the joinery, has anyone yet figured out what the details are? I'm trying to figure out how to properly build this beautiful piece.
    I don't think it's all that mysterious. Just build it.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 07-13-2011 at 2:42 PM.

12. Thanks, Dave. My assumption was that the trestle uprights were more elaborately joined to the stretchers, hence accommodating weight and resisting forces from the top.

A couple of good sized screws covered with plugs would do it. You could make it more complex with sliding dovetails if you wanted. What I showed in the sketch isn't necessarily the way Moser builds them.

Maybe like this:

Last edited by Dave Richards; 07-13-2011 at 3:56 PM.

I went to a Thos Moser warehouse sale today and took a good look at the joinery on this table. I was also able to speak to one of their craftsman who confirmed how they put it together. If I remember Dave's hand drawing correctly he had the joinery completely correct. There is a small notch or lip at the bottom and top of the uprights where they meet up with the stretchers. These take the bulk of the weight. Pretty much everything is held together with screws, some covered with plugs, others (on the underside of the table) are not.

Here is a link to the photos if people want to take a closer look.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1122724...793/EdoJoinery

Dave, I'd really like to see that drawing you did again. The link from Flicker in this thread is dead.

I don't know why is doesn't show but I'm reposting it.

By the way, I'm glad to see I had it right. I just took an educated guess.