Thread: Herringbone pattern end grain butcher block.

Herringbone pattern end grain butcher block.

I've made a number of endgrain butcher block tops. I've always glued strips of alternating species, then sanded and crosscut to the thickness of the top, then glued the crosscuts together. But, this time I'd like to make a top in a herringbone pattern. The only process I can come up with is to cut the 1x2 stock in pieces with the length equalling the thickness of the top, and piece it all together in what would amount to an ugly glue bath on my worktable.

Any alternate, and less messy, process advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Glue up alternating strips, cut strips at 45 degree angle, flip every other strip and you should achieve a herringbone pattern.
    A google search with "herringbone pattern end grain cutting board" has a useful link on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Link View Post
    Glue up alternating strips, cut strips at 45 degree angle, flip every other strip and you should achieve a herringbone pattern.
    Jonathan: Thanks. Actually, I meant herringbone the way pavers are laid out. Here's what I meant:

And do you mean to have four colors as well?

The wood whisperer makes on pretty much like what you want. There's the link to his video.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-...-above-part-1/
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH