Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Stinkin' Hot to turn

Too Stinkin' Hot to turn

We have had temps well over 100 degrees for the last week. My very accurate temperature sensor which transmits to my atomic clock, and tells temperature and relative humidity, has reached 107 degrees and 108 degrees respectively the last two days, and it is in the shade.

My shop which does not have A/C is most likely a balmy 115 degrees [my estimate] and I just cannot bring myself to be pouring sweat and mixing sawdust all over myself at the same time

I'll be glad for some break in this heat and some very needed rainfall. I can stand it in the 90's, but when it get over 105 degrees, then I am cooked, well done!

Oh, Roger, don't be such a whimp!!!

Just kiddin'!! It is miserably hot here, but not as bad as you all are having it. We are to get some relief this weekend.

Makes it really bad when I kick on the DC system!!! That sucker throws heat like a torpedo heater! Fortunately, we are on a ridge, and if there is any air moving, I usually get a cross breeze through the shop. Of course, a 100* cross breeze is not actually very refreshing!

Stick a fork in him, he's done....

I'm sitting here typing this in the shop I work for, and it's stinkin' hot at 92°. I went home yesterday feeling like a dishrag... and my feet and legs just ached. Of course my lovely wife says: "Honey would you grill some hamburgers tonight?"
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 07-08-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Wimped Out

John,

I will own up to being "wimped out" when my shop is 115 degrees. I agree with you that a breeze at 100 degrees isn't much comfort, it just dries you out all the more!

Jim, that "dishrag" feeling is a warning to us to re-hydrate ourselves. My doctor told me that one reason I have had kidney stones from time to time is that I wasn't hydrating myself enough, and in the summer when mowing the lawn, or working outside, we usually do not realize how dehydrated we actually are, and that allows salt and other compounds to concentrate in our kidneys, and we end up with problems we would not have had otherwise

Take care guys, and drink drink drink..... water and gatoraide & such, not the hard stuff....

cooler today?

I just looked at the temperature and it is not the hottest part of the day yet, and it is 103.8 degrees in the shade

Yep. I just caught a glimpse of the thermometer here in the shop- it's 100°. That 92° temp was on Weather.com's website.

Not to worry about that water thing... I have a gallon jug of water right here by the CNC router... I do my best to make sure things are "clear"....

That's Virginia, lived here most of my life, high temps and high humidity. Yesterday here was over 100 deg, with 65-70 RH. When it gets that hot outside, I just go into the shop and play. The gauge in the shop says: 70 deg, 29 RH..... : ). Man I am glad I was able to put A/C in last year!

Without A/C I would be in there either.

Rob

You are more than welcome at my shop Roger. It's only an hour north and you'll be here.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I feel bad for you guys. I really don't like the heat. I can't concentrate and I certainly don't enjoy what I'm doing.

Our temps are in the 90's lately...but my loft tends to vent off the hotter air and I try to keep the blazing sun out of the windows so I think my shop is somewhere around 80-85 on hot days. I can live with that.

But ya'll have my sincere sympathy
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Roger,

I feel your pain. It's been 100 in my shop past three days. I forgot to bring in my EEE last night. Big mistake, went out in the shop this morning and it was already completely melted. Brought it back into the house for some AC hopefully it's not completely ruined.

Roger,

Hopefully you will get some relief soon. Currently 97 with a heat index of 103 here, and in our shop I'm guessing it is around 115. Miserable heat even when one is getting paid to work in it. I managed to schedule an "office day" for most of the day today. Tomorrow is predicted to get to 102 with a heat index of 107 to 108. I talked to my shop guys this morning and suggested we start at 6 a.m. tomorrow, work through lunch, and get out of here around 2 p.m. They were in total agreement with that plan! Forecast for Saturday is 93 with 50% chance of rain. I may just go out and play in the rain.

BTW, Corian shavings and dust mix with perspiration in a fashion very similar to sawdust.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I may just go out and play in the rain.
    I like stompin' in puddles.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I cant stand the hot, super humid Kansas summer heat and my shop WAS too hot to do anything.... until I bougt a $100 window unit AC. Now the shop is pretty well insulated but the AC is undersized and it still keeps it a very comfortable 74 degrees! I highly recommend splurging on a small window unit and get to turning again.

We're hot here in Ohio too, but we haven't hit 100 yet this year. We usually do once or twice a summer.

I checked my local river and the USGS station says the temp is 29° C. That's 84° F. The fish are poached before they're caught.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

15. A/c

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    That's Virginia, lived here most of my life, high temps and high humidity. Yesterday here was over 100 deg, with 65-70 RH. When it gets that hot outside, I just go into the shop and play. The gauge in the shop says: 70 deg, 29 RH..... : ). Man I am glad I was able to put A/C in last year!

Without A/C I would be in there either.

Rob

Air Conditioning.......SWEEEEET!