Thread: Grizzly, and other things that go buzz in the shop

Grizzly, and other things that go buzz in the shop

Greetings to all.

I received my Grizzly Christmas catalog, and as I started to look through it I ran into an interesting statement that will impact all customers:

"Last Call Due to the huge increases in the cost of raw materials this year, prices on all of our machines will be going up January 1, 2005. Unfortunately, there will be no grace period on price changes. Do not procrastinate any longer."

This is printed on the inside cover of the catalog, and can be found on-line by clicking on the big Christmas catalog button, then going to the page after the cover page.

So, if you are thinking about a Grizzly tool, you might want to put your mind in high gear before the first of the year.

Second Grizzly comment: Has anyone bought one of their maple workbench tops? If so, what is your opinion of them? Are they assembled from a bunch of "cut-offs"? Would you buy it again, you know the usual questions a potential customer might ask....

And lastly, I viewed my "Woodworking at Home" magazine last night, and was particularly impressed with the "chapter" on drill sharpening. If you haven't "read" it, do take a look. Chris DeHut has done an excellent job of showing you the exact way to hold the drill, and also gives you a run down on the various names of the parts of a drill.
    BTW, how do you talk about a video magazine, are there chapters, do you read or view an article.
    Best Regards, Ken

I had two Griz machines delivered this year so far and maybe getting one more before the price jumps. Next up might just be the G0555 and riser kit if I can swing it...

Ken,

I "saw" Chris's article on sharpening drill bits, but I'm too afraid to try it. I have no confidence that I could get the sides even and prevent the "walking" of the bit he described. If sharpening drill bits is such a good idea, should we be considering getting the Drill Dr.? I thought they had a pretty poor reputation.

Jack

Jack

Get an old drill or 2 & go for it. I had to learn how to do this when I took machine shop in high school & again in college. The only way you can learn this is by doing it.

One of these will help get the proper angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    Ken,

I "saw" Chris's article on sharpening drill bits, but I'm too afraid to try it. I have no confidence that I could get the sides even and prevent the "walking" of the bit he described. If sharpening drill bits is such a good idea, should we be considering getting the Drill Dr.? I thought they had a pretty poor reputation.

Jack
    Jack, the funny thing is that I just received a Drill Doctor in the mail the day before I got the DVD. But I think I will keep it. I found it interesting to learn about the drill bit and its various parts. Now I can wow the world with my usless 'bit' of information.
    Best Regards, Ken

Just got my Grizz TS for this reason. However, the bandsaw I'm going to buy someday already went up $100 since last week...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Next up might just be the G0555 and riser kit if I can swing it...
    Swing it man, swing it!

You'll never regret it.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

I have one of their maple tops. It is NOT flat. If you run your fingers over it, you can feel slight high spots at all the glue lines. Eventually I will plane/sand it down and that will also get rid of that poly stuff they put on it so I can use an oil finish. I guess it was still better than trying to laminate my own.