Thread: Newbie needs some suggestions

Newbie needs some suggestions

I usually post on the wood carving or turning lists so I am new to this section.

My son is asking for my help in his sign shop. Been doing well but the economy has called for some product changes. We are wanting to add Corain to our sign materials list.

1. Does Corain hold up in bad weather locations (we live on the bay and about one mile from the surf)?
    2. Is it prone to shattering like glass?
    3. Does it take well to carving on the Shop Bot?
    4. Are there competing lines available?
    5. Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
    Phillip Bogle
    Tillamook County Oregon

I was just down your way last week, and yes, we stopped for ice cream and bought some cheese.

There are many members with more experience than I with Corian, especially Keith Outten (do a search) but I can tell you that it will hold up fine, will not break, and routs beautifully. If he's not doing ADA work, Keith has done some amazing stuff with it and that could be another big source of business, even providing it wholesale for other sign shops.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Bogle View Post
    I usually post on the wood carving or turning lists so I am new to this section.

My son is asking for my help in his sign shop. Been doing well but the economy has called for some product changes. We are wanting to add Corain to our sign materials list.

1. Does Corain hold up in bad weather locations (we live on the bay and about one mile from the surf)?
    2. Is it prone to shattering like glass?
    3. Does it take well to carving on the Shop Bot?
    4. Are there competing lines available?
    5. Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
    Phillip Bogle
    Tillamook County Oregon
    1. Corian is solid acrylic and will withstand the weather no problem.
    2. No, it is not prone to shattering at all
    3. It is very friendly to CNC machining. You can work it with regular woodworking tools.
    4. It closest competitor IMHO is LG HiMacs -also solid acrylic
    5. Can't think of any particular pitfalls. As far as using it outside, I think I would think about how UV affects different colors and be aware of that issue.
    Its amazing stuff and will be a good addition to your shop.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I am just starting out in the Corian sign making business as Joe said Keith Outten is one of the main Corian person, and he is very willing to help people with advice and direction. (I have asked many questions) The only problem with Corian is that you need a sign making business license if you want to buy it. There is a link at the top of this section called "Sign Makers Read This From Dupont" This will explain how to obtain a license to buy Corian.

Corian® is a unique surface material. Exclusive manufacturer of this material, introduced in the mid-sixties, is DuPont Corian® (U.S.). Originally, Corian® should have replaced stone used in interior designs. Though looking sumptuously, stone is too cold and causes rheumatic disorders. Similarly to stone, Corian® is solid and invariable, but warm and nice to touch. Today, Corian® is used both in homes and commercial interiors such as banks, hotels, restaurants, shops, catering establishments, airport lounges, station halls etc. Due to its unique properties, Corian® can be applied also in special environments such as hospitals etc.
    Corian® is made from natural materials (2/3 of Corian® is made from bauxite); assembly adhesive is made from PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate) resin.
    Corian® is a solid, homogenous and massive material with evenly distributed colour and texture in cross-section. Corian® is exceptionally resistant and durable and proves very good mechanical properties such as hardness, toughness, abrasion resistance and tenacity. And what is more, Corian® is not fragile and cannot be chopped or shattered.
    Corian® is easily workable material that gives architects and designers undreamt-of opportunities. Similarly to hardwood, Corian® can be cut, milled or grinded. Also, it can be treated by heat - it can be bent and shaped in moulds at 150 - 180 °C. Thanks to advanced technology of adhesive bonding and subsequent grinding, Corian® units can be connected without any joints. As such, even large surfaces of Corian® seem to be made of one piece only. Of course, it is possible to create various mosaics, marquetries and logos.
    Corian® makes solid, compact and non-porous surface while it does not absorb moisture. Water and moisture remain on the surface, which ensures ideal hygienic conditions (i.e. Corian® does not allow bacteria and moulds to grow). That's why there will never be any coffee, red wine or fruit stains on Corian® desktops. Also, Corian® is strongly resistant to temperatures up to 360 º C (it can resist long-term exposition to temperature of 180 °C).
    Corian® is easy to keep clean. And that's why it is possible to maintain its perfect appearance for the whole lifetime period. If stained by commonly used substances, it can be easily washed off with water or abrasive detergents. Scratches and nicks can be simply removed by regrinding and re-polishing without any change or homogeneity of colored surface.
    Today, Corian® is offered in more than 100 hues ranging from mild pastel colours to deep colours with veined and grainy textures. There is also a wide variety of Corian® finish (from satin matt to high gloss). Demanding customers will appreciate possibility to combine individual hues of colour. Also, it is very easy to combine Corian® with other materials such as stainless steel or wood.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking