Thread: Antique Barn Finish

Antique Barn Finish

I'm making a pair of toy chests for my kids that I'd like to finish to look like an antique barn (painted). Has anyone done this? The basic idea is to paint a base coat in one color, then paint a topcoat in a 2nd color, then rub through the top to the bottom. Last, to glaze or oil the surface and then clear topcoat it.

Apparently, this can be done with milk paint (which can be pricey) or latex and lacquer and a heat gun.

Any thoughts/experiences?

I remember seeing Norm do this once on NYW with milk paint... IIRC, he put one coat on, then randomly applied some type of wax... then he put the second coat on. Naturally, the second coat didn't stick to the waxed areas, which gave it the "worn through" look very easily... HTH?

Milk paint.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

4. You already know the process. What you need to do it try on a piece of wood to get the result you want.
    I prefer to use lacquer (nitrocellulose clear coating) to do this finish, since it fast and easy to be handled. The nc base coat is also available in any color and easy to be mixed to get the color you need.

Good luck