Thread: Problem with electric brake...Makita SCMS

Problem with electric brake...Makita SCMS

Hi,
    I've had this Mitersaw (LS1011) for many years, and it's been a good friend. Lately the electric brake works sporadically, but usually doesn't. I frequently have to wait until the blade stops before I can make another cut. I have the schematic, but I'm not sure which part to replace. I believe that the brake works by reverse polarity once the button is released. I've already replaced some parts over the years, and would like to repair it. I've looked into getting a new one...the LS1013 dual compound, but I'd rather keep using this old friend. Does anyone have any info to share?
    thanks

steve
    We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing.

Could be the switch or the brushes. Have you ever replaced the brushes? Did you try pulling out the brushes and blowing out the housing?
    Matt

I have the same issue with my Delta. I'm told that the brushes are the most likely culprit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the advice. I haven't changed the brushes, or even checked them. My mitersaw is currently at a jobsite (deck job), but when I finish the job next week, I'll bring it home and check the brushes.
    thanks
    steve
    We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing.

Steve,

It may well need brushes but a trick to revive the brake is to let the saw rev at full speed for a minute or so to clean the commutator. It might work if the brushes are not too far gone.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

mine is the same way. bet a brush change will fix it.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Thanks guys,

Come monday, I'll be inspecting the brushes, and blowing out any dust. I'll do a followup post and let you know how it went.

have a good weekend/mother's day

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Steve,

It may well need brushes but a trick to revive the brake is to let the saw rev at full speed for a minute or so to clean the commutator. It might work if the brushes are not too far gone.
    Hi Charles; it would take a Freud guy to know what's wrong with the Makita.

You are absolutely correct. I happen to reside in the town in Canada where Makita has their HO and an on site service center. One of my good friends works for Makita. There are many side benefits to me in this friendship, if you know what I mean.

I have owned a 1211 for many years and every so often the brake sticks. The service guy told me to do exactly what you say...let the saw run full rev for 30 - 60 secs. That usually cleared the problem, although I have a hunch that Steve should examine his brushes etc. if it is being used on a job site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

The brakes aren't broken

As a followup, I checked the brushes, and there was some dust packed in there...how does it get in thru that plastic screw? I blew out the dust, and then revved it up for a minute. The brake now works like it should. The brushes were very worn, but there was at least 1/4" left. Is it time to replace them?

thanks again for the guidance.

steve

[quote=Steve Rayboy;851929]As a followup, I checked the brushes, and there was some dust packed in there...how does it get in thru that plastic screw? I blew out the dust, and then revved it up for a minute. The brake now works like it should.
    The brushes were very worn, but there was at least 1/4" left. Is it time to replace them?
    Hi Steve; glad to hear the brake works now. My advice would be to replace the brushes. It's not a large expense, nor is it a big job.

An ounce of prevention etc. etc. .......................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I used the saw all day today and the brake worked every time. I will order the brushes and keep them safe till needed.
    I love you guys...thanks.

steve