Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clipped Head vs Round Head Framing Nailer Question

1. senso 601 framing nailer question

I just bought the senso 601 30degree clipped head framing nailer and am able to use round head deck nails. Should this be possible ?
    Thanks Vince

I have the exact same framing nailer. I was a little puzzled the last time I went to buy nails. I was looking for clipped head nails, but they didn't have any. Here Bostitch had stopped making clipped head nails, they made the round head nails work in the clipped head framing nailers. the head is just offset. So my guess is you shouldn't have any problems with the codes.

Quote Originally Posted by vince velardo View Post
    I just bought the senso 601 30degree clipped head framing nailer and am able to use round head deck nails. Should this be possible ?
    Thanks Vince

Its the angle of the collated nails, not the head type.
    Matt

I have the Hitachi clipped head nailer and have had it before clipped heads became outlawed. They say on the nail boxes that the round heads will work in the clipped head guns.
    Yeah Right.
    They do, but not very well, when you get towards th end of a clip.
    It tends to jam the gun.

I doubt on a practical level you'd have any problems with clipped head nails for light framing. Building codes may apply different rules, but I reiterate "ON A Practical level". I'm guessing there are some engineers some where who have used highly scientific methods to deduce that full heads are marginally better under conditions of extreme stress? Fact is for most things I use my framer I don't get the building inspector involved any way, if your framing for a living code compliance is a necessity.

In my neck-o-woods most local codes don't allow clipped heads any more, and most building suppliers don't sell them, though there is some cheater "almost nearly very close to full head" nail that passes and allows you to use your clipped head nailer.

I bought a full head bostich to avoid the hassle, billed it to a client so money was not my concern at the time of purchase. It does positive placement for joist hangers too, though I've never used that feature. The one place I feel the clipped head is a distinct disadvantage is when nailing sheathing. I just don't like that little head trying to hold down the plywood that holds the whole structure together. You might have problems tearing apart two studs nailed with clipped heads, but its not that hard to pull a clipped head right through the face of the sheathing!

Several manufacturers are making "offset" round head nails that look just like a normal full round head nail. Only difference is the pin is offset from center to allow for an angle magazine. Visually after being nailed, they are full round head appearance and function. I would not go with the clipped head and have been told by Paslode and others that the clipped head is being phased out for the offset round heads. Meets the codes.
    Pete

Rob Will Guest
    Stay away from the Senco 600 series at Lowes. I had two of these home owner grade clipped-head guns. After a bunch of problems and almost zero ability to get them fixed, I asked the manager of a real lumber yard (not a BORG) just what kind of nailers were working the best in our area.

He recommended Paslode and gave me the phone number of the Paslode rep. Paslode took my junk guns in on trade and sold me a real framing nailer for $150. FYI: I think Bostich is the same gun as Paslode.

Do not use clipped head nails if your gun is designed for offset full round head. Yes, it will shoot them but it is hard on your driver pin.

If you don't believe it, lay a stick of each type nail on the table, one on top of the other. The offset full round will have about 7 nails in the same distance as the clipped head has 8. (Clipped head nails are spaced slightly closer). This causes your driver pin to nick the second nail in line as it goes by. If your gun is making a spark every time you drive a nail, you probably have the wrong nail.

Hope this helps,
    Rob

Hello,
    Nice gun - nice price (N80SB).
    I bought the F28WW last summer and it's been a great gun.
    IIRC, about the only differences between them are the F28WW is magnesium, shoots full head and will drive into masonry.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Weber View Post
    So does it make a difference? I picked up a Bostitch N80SB at Lowes today for $140 on clearance, but it is a clipped head nailer. I had planned to get a round head at some point, but the Bostitch seemed like a good value. No major jobs, a few home projects and maybe a shed. It looks like a round head Bostitch will run almost $270, although I can get a round head Porter Cable for a bit less. Thanks for any comments.

John

It all depends. I bought a clipped head nailer to save the money.
    I also don't get the inspector involved in any "inside the house" renovations. The inspectors here are clearly incompetent based on what they "passed" on my house by the builders : drain pipes not having the correct slope, 8" of a 2x10 joist notched (gee, just maybe that's not structurally sound ), etc, etc. I'm of the opinion that I can do a better job if the government is not involved, although I'm not criticizing anyone that follows the rules..

If I was going to build an addition to my house (no plans), I'd call the inspector and see if they insist on full heads. But just for odds and ends work, a clipped nail is fine.

Last summer I had a good size project and purchased a Bostitch round head framing nailer. After speaking to a couple of inspectors in my hometown I found that if the project required a building permit and built with clipped nails I would be in troube. Its better to be safe than sorry. Check your local codes. What does not make sense is that they sell clipped head nailers in my hometown.