Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two recent projects (w/pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Harbin
    Rob,

Is the box design from an American Woodworker article? I've earmarked that issue for Christmas gift ideas this year and was thinking of making a few.

Ditto on the Flexcut tools. I've got a four piece set, plus several carving knives.

Pete
    Pete,

Yep, that was from that issue! Guess great minds think alike
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Rob. Very nice, and thanks for the pix. Did you find that the pine, given its inherent softness, was hard to carve? So far my only experience is with carvng mahogany, which is a nice carving wood, I think.
    Alan

Alan,

I apologize for taking so long to reply. For some reason, the Creek wasn't letting me back in. Anyway, the pine was pretty easy to carve as it is very soft. However, what I did have to watch out for was too much wood coming loose at a time due to that fact.

I've only worked with Basswood for practicing. Which, I'm told by the guys at Rockler, most carvers seem to prefer. Probably because it is also easy to work with.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,

Rob -

Those are really remarkable. The relief carving turned out great! Did you sketch it yourself or find a pattern to copy?

Your son will be proud of his box. It will stay with him forever.

Regards,
    Ted

Ted,

I just drew the vine-lines out free-hand with a pencil and then carved right over them. The leaves I just put "wherever they felt right" with a gouge.

Nice job on both your projects, Rob. Very creative carving.
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Rob,

Did you make the sled they recommend in the article, or did you find you could do ok without it?
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Harbin
    Rob,

Did you make the sled they recommend in the article, or did you find you could do ok without it?
    Pete,

I made the sled too, and pretty much everything else they recommended in the article. One other thing to note in the articel as far as accuracy goes. I would make the lid out of thicker stock than the 3/8" that they recommend. Probably 1/2" material is what I would use. Then route the rabbet for the lid to fit snug onto the box about 1/8" deep. That would leave you with a nice thicklooking top like you see in their photos.

Because if you look at the photos, they have a nice thick lid on their boxes. If you follow their plans exactly though, they say to use 3/8" material for the lid and then to make that rabbeted edge around it so that the lid sits down into the box a bit.

This works great except that it then leaves your lid looking much thinner than theirs are in the article.

Hope that all made sense.
    Last edited by Rob Horton; 12-06-2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Spelling errors