Thread: Bookcase

Bookcase

Hello all:

I usually hang out on the turning forum, but I've spent a few weeks in flatland and thought I would share some pictures. This is a bookcase for my four year old son. It has yet to be mounted on the wall and I plan to use 5/8th's lag screws into the studs to make it sturdy. The shelves are mortised into 3/4 inch maple surface plywood. The shelves are ash and have an ebony stain. The shelves have finger joints at the corner. The design is one that has been in my head for several years, but took me a while to get to making. What can I say, the second child always gets short shrift!

Thanks for looking. comments and critiques are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Burge; 07-11-2010 at 6:26 PM.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Welcome to this side of the forum Mark,I also visit the turners and carvers forum and I am amaze at SMC'ers quality & craftsmanship.Your design and craftsmanship is one of the reason for my comment.Looks great,see there flat work is fun, just like turning----Carroll

Thanks Carroll. I was pretty pleased with this design. I have been a little worried that it looks too tempting and he will try to climb it, but once the glue joints are set up, I think the shelves may be able to take some weight. Not that I'm advocating climbing on the furniture or anything .
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burge View Post
    Thanks Carroll. I was pretty pleased with this design. I have been a little worried that it looks too tempting and he will try to climb it, but once the glue joints are set up, I think the shelves may be able to take some weight. Not that I'm advocating climbing on the furniture or anything .
    try putting a "legal disclaimer" on the shelf ... "Not Intended for Climbing" .. it works in the real world

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burge View Post
    ... I have been a little worried that it looks too tempting and he will try to climb it, but once the glue joints are set up, I think the shelves may be able to take some weight..
    Just for your own peace of mind, you might climb on them yourself. Bolt it to the wall, and stand on a shelf. If it'll hold you, it'll hold the kid. If it breaks under you, well, that was probably a good thing to find out. If you've got good glue joints, I'd bet it will hold you.

Thanks for the comments Lee and Jamie. I might just take the glue joint challenge. Good idea.
    Mark