Thread: Kitchen Cabinet Door Cat Scratching Problem

Kitchen Cabinet Door Cat Scratching Problem

My cat has developed the habit of scratching the two cabinet doors underneath the sink. He does this because he: wants to be fed, given a treat, scratched, or generally paid attention to.

I could get him declawed, which I will not do because it is inhumane, or send him to the cat glue factory, which my wife does not think is a very good idea.

I am going to sand down and restain, but the question is a finish coat that will withstand his scratching. Any ideas? I could put a facing of transparent aluminum on it. (Remember the Startrek movie?)

The old, but true saying comes to mind: dogs have Masters. Cats have Staff.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

None.

Get him declawed, find a home or plan on refinishing every so often.

A brass or stainless cover may work but could be a catch all for crude from the counter and be counter productive.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

try spraying it with cat repellent or something with a citrus odor like a citrus cleaner?

Curt, thanks for your suggestion. It isw something to consider.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

To the op.

Got your private message.

My post was intended to tell you that what you are asking for is essentially an impossibility.

Secondly, it is your opinion that declawing is inhumane, something that many people don't agree with. That issue is up for discussion in some other forum. That fact that having him declawed is not an option for you is your choice and obviously one you have made the decision to live with.

Let me think this through so my post count doesn't lend you to the belief that brevity is actually lack of thought.

There are four options of which only two are valid for you. Cover the doors with something scratch proof or plan on refinishing often. Any finish you put on wood will not withstand any amount of time of cat claws if they are scratching.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I don't think there's any paint-on coating strong enough to resist the cat. Formica probably would do the job, but applying it is a bit of a chore.

You might consider going with the flow. I had a structural post which cats really wanted to scratch on. I wrapped it with 1/2" rope, which gives the cats a great scratching post. Every six months or so I re-wrap it with new rope. It works great. The analog in your case might be screwing a scratching pad to the front of the doors. You can get one a bit oversize and cut it down to fit.

Or you can find a remnant of wall-to-wall carpet, and screw it to the doors. Carpet installers throw out acres of usable scraps.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 07-12-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Tom,
    I wouldn’t declaw my cat either and I believe it’s not good to do to the cat (it’s like cutting your fingers off at the knuckles).

I suggest getting yourself a finger nail clipper (I’ve found those to work best) and cut their claws just before you get to their quick (any further you could cause bleeding and pain). That should keep them from destroying anything while scratching, but yet still keep their claws intact and if they ever get outside they can sharpen their claws up in a day or two.

What I’ve found the best for the scratching post is to have a four foot long 4x4 in the house that they scan scratch on. I wrapped mine in some cloth and put catnip in it, the cats love it and they scratch on nothing but that.

Brett