Thread: Sanding a stain

Sanding a stain

I stained a new furniture some days ago, using alcohol dye, and at the next the day I notice it raised lots grain. The wood was sanded up to #220 grit.

It also caused a very strange effect on a area where the veneer were extremely thin almost transparent (a corner of the original sheet), it kind of cause the veneer to separate from the middle, at sizes like a 1/64" with by 1/16 large.... i.e. like tiny spines.

All this definitely need to be fixed and I have to start with... should I use a wood sand paper(cream) or a wet/dry (black) sand paper?

I would like to sand, then apply a new coat of stain, just to even the color in case it gets messy.

What do you think?

Not sure what you have... Type of wood, dye used, what is the project? etc.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

It sounds like you have already over sanded the thin veneer. Veneers are very thin and it's easy to sand through to the next layer, or to sand enough that you can affect the adhesion of the veneer glue.

Do not sand any more. The way to deal with the raised grain to put on a couple of coats of whatever you are going to use for your clear coat. Once these coats are dry, and lightly by hand using 220 sandpaper on a flat sanding block. This way you are sanding the finish, not the veneer. Now you can apply two or three more coats and be done.

I don't understand what you mean by "cause the veneer to separate from the middle, at sizes like a 1/64" with by 1/16 large.... i.e. like tiny spines." I can't offer any advise on that. Do you have a picture?
    Howie.........

I knew this sheet was a little damaged, I may not even start a project with this, but I wanted to do something with this.

After some sanding, and re-staining, it looked good.
    And yes, the veener was sanded through, but not by me, it was already so.
    Let's see how it goes.

Thank you very much for your comments.