Thread: What vacuum system should I look at???

What vacuum system should I look at???

My lathe is a little unusual in that the bore through the headstock is about an 1" diameter. Which vacuum system should I be looking at that might fit my lathe. P.S., if the spindle diameter is a consideration, it is 1 7/8 6tpi.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Dennis - as far as the pump, filters and gauge, it's going to be pretty much standard stuff. That said, I'm thinking you're going to find locating a vacuum adapter to fit the 1" bore problematic, along with chucks to fit the 1-7/8" spindle threads...
    If you're willing to pop for the Oneway chucks (pricey) you can get an adapter custom threaded by them, but I'd guess that building your own would be a better option - that's probably true for the adapter, too. Neither is particularly hard to make, just a little fussy to get all the leaks sealed up.
    If you want to buy an adapter, the ones made by JT Turning Tools are really nice and work well as is their vacuum chuck hub that accepts multiple sizes of pvc adapters. Both would need to be customized for your spindle, though.
    You can turn your own chucks easily, and either use a small faceplate for a base or thread them yourself with a tap.
    pumps - I've got two - a Gast rotary vane for turning and a rocking piston type that I now use with a carving stand that accepts my chucks. The Gast RV has been absolutely bulletproof, and was found as brand new, surplus for a song and a dance ($89.00) on Ebay. The rocking piston (an old, used aeration pump) was my first pump and it worked pretty well, pulled a decent vacuum (25"+) but I trust the Gast a lot more - it will peg the gauge (I'm at sea level here) and stay there for as long as I need.

Dennis, that sounds like a big unit. There are plans on the Creek that Steve Schlump has been generous to offer in the past showing the layout for a shop built system. I got some of my equipment from JT Turning Tools, and eventually got a 1.25" Beall threading tap to make my own different sized chucks. Drill out the rough turned chuck for the spindle threads, run it on to the spindle to hollow out the inside and true it up, and apply a self stick gasket material available at most craft stores. Seal the threads of the chuck with some kind of glue to harden them up some and chase them a few times, and re-turn the chuck occasionally as it gets out of round. The vac system is pretty basic, but finding stock parts for your spindle might be problematic. Sounds like some special order or machined pieces are needed. Steve S. might be able to help you with the basic system. These are pics of my 3 year old system that started on a Nova 16-44, and is now working fine on a PM 3520. A reliable, adequately powerful pump would be important. That's about as much as I know, and it is used constantly. :-)
    vacuum 1.jpgVacuum 2.jpg

+1 on Steve's instructions. They include a link to a surplus house that carries the parts. JT *may* be able to make a custom adapter for you, but I can't say as I've only bought a few items from him on-line and not talked to him personally. I think getting a tap for the spindle may be a bit difficult to find, but well worth it if you can. There have been several threads on here about making the adapter, usually out of corian. Check them out, here's one:

rotary vacuum adapter design
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Your 1 7/8" x 6 tpi spindle does present some problems. I have been told (but don't remember the source) that the Beall Tool Company uses CNC lathes to make their taps. You should contact them to see if they can build you one. I have their 1 1/4 x 8 tpi tap and it works fantastically. I just looked up the price and they sell it for $28. Even if your custom tap was twice that it would still be a deal.

I also have the vacuum adapter from JT Turning Tools and they can probably make one to fit your lathe as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,
    David

Through the link that Thom posted I found this site. Looks like everything I need.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheVacuum.htm
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I use the Hold fast and it works great for me. I wanted something simple that didn,t take up much room and require me assembling it on my own. I figured that could be dangerous. As long as you have a good seal, it holds great.

I built my system originally.

For < $150....I built my system originally. Most of the parts can be obtained from Veneer Supplies (vac clamp starter kit:http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...ng-Add-On.html) My used pump was bought off of eBay. I would definitely use a double-bearing in the headstock adapter if you make one and I still had some leakage but I didn't seal my wood first which would have helped.

I had the HoldFast system and it worked fine even with the compressor cycling often. JT Turnings excellent and that's where I would start for your adapter if you don't want to make your own. I have since replaced my homemade headstock adapter with a machined one from JT Turnings (~$99). They were a busy booth at SWAT last year.

In the long run, making my one was cheaper that HoldFast and I can run the vacuum pump longer and it is much quieter. I also posted my setup online on this forum; I have two valves on mine so I can control the vacuum at the lathe as well as at the pump. I love the huge gauge too.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=vacuum

Thanks for the link Chip!

I'm also in the market this year for a vacuum chuck. I have not run into a cheap used vacuum pump, and the preferred Gast at 500 bucks alone is a lot more than than the one time complete unit Hold Fast purchase. I've been wanting a vacuum chuck for a long time, and this is the year I will finally get one. Or build one.

Dennis, let us know what you get!