Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will the oneway balancing system work on a woodcraft slowspeed grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Geiger View Post
    I use and recommend the headless press-fit drill bushings. These are made to very close tolerences and have extremely paralell surfaces. I purchased mine from McMaster Carr. They are under $10 each. If you order from McMaster Carr they will arrive the next day.
    I don't see any that say headless on there. But I do see press fit drill bushing. Am I seeing the right things or do I need to look for something else?

Oh I get it. A head is a flange like thing on the outside. I can see why that would not be good for use on a grinder. I think I have the right part now.

Thanks,
    Joshua
    Last edited by Joshua Dinerstein; 07-14-2010 at 7:20 PM. Reason: Added some text.

2. Big improvement

Joshua,

I got the drill bushings from McMaster Carr, and they made a huge difference in the smoothness. I purchases two new blue Norton 3x wheels and they have a 1 inch hole in the center, and my arbor on the grinder is 5/8", so I ordered the correct one from MC, and they really help.

8491A562 this is the part number from their website. hope this helps!

Good listeners!

I am glad to see some of you have pursued getting rid of the plastic and going with the drill bushings! I'm glad to see it is working for you!

Don Geiger

I am glad to see some of you have pursued getting rid of the plastic and going with the drill bushings! I'm glad to see it is working for you!
    I ordered mine as well. Can't wait for them to come and see what I can with them once I get them installed.

We have had some good weather here recently with temps in the high 70s and low 80s but in watching the news last night we are heading quickly into some 99-100 degree weather here in Utah for the next 10 days or so. I have to say I am not looking forward to that very much. I don't do well with the heat. I need to move somewhere that don't get above 72 in the summer.

Either that or I need to air-condition the garage and/or move my shop down into the basement!

Joshua

Slow Speed Grinder

Don,
    when you responded to my earlier post you recommended to buy 80 and 120 grit wheels .I cannot find the 3X wheels in anything but 46 and 80 Grit.Are they not available in anything above 80 grit.Packard and Craft Supplies both carry the same selection.
    Thanx,Greg

120 grit 3X?

Greg:
    I'm not sure. I spent a few minutes on the Norton site (www.nortonindustrial.com) and I had a hard time finding the 3X products. In fact I never did. Call Brad Pakard or someone else there and just ask them if they can get the 3X in the 120 grit.

Let us know what you find out.

Don Geiger

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Don,
    when you responded to my earlier post you recommended to buy 80 and 120 grit wheels .I cannot find the 3X wheels in anything but 46 and 80 Grit.Are they not available in anything above 80 grit.Packard and Craft Supplies both carry the same selection.
    Thanx,Greg

7. Got mine from Hartville tools

Greg:
    I'm not sure. I spent a few minutes on the Norton site (www.nortonindustrial.com) and I had a hard time finding the 3X products. In fact I never did. Call Brad Pakard or someone else there and just ask them if they can get the 3X in the 120 grit.

Let us know what you find out.

Don Geiger

Don,

I got the 80 grit 3x "K" hardness, and the 120 grit "I" hardness from Hartville Tools when I ordered mine about a month ago. They are both the blue Norton 3X and they work great.

The drill bushings from McMaster-Carr were perfect, and I have to say, I don't think I have ever had as exceptional customer service from any company as I did from MC - they were superb. I ordered one day, and recieved it overnight for no extra charge, and it was incredible, as I expected at least 3 or 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    The drill bushings from McMaster-Carr were perfect, and I have to say, I don't think I have ever had as exceptional customer service from any company as I did from MC - they were superb. I ordered one day, and recieved it overnight for no extra charge, and it was incredible, as I expected at least 3 or 4 days.
    *sigh* I knew it! They are out to get me!

I ordered 3 days ago and still no sign of them. But hey if they come and work I will still be 100% happy. I could just have been 120% happy if they had over-nighted them to me.

Joshua

9. Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dinerstein View Post
    *sigh* I knew it! They are out to get me!

I ordered 3 days ago and still no sign of them. But hey if they come and work I will still be 100% happy. I could just have been 120% happy if they had over-nighted them to me.

Joshua
    Joshua,

I live in Virginia, and they shipped from MC facility in New Jersey. I don't know if the relative proximity of my location to theirs was a factor [250 miles maybe] or if the rush of orders from turners has depleted their supply, and they are having to go to their other locations for shipping/ [speculation on my part]

They gave me extraordinary customer service, and I've heard the same from others, so it might be a logistical issue related to where they have it in stock [west coast, maybe?]

Call customer support

I order from McMaster Carr frequently and have for about 9 years. I've always received my orders the next day. I live in north central Florida and receive shipments from their Atlanta and Chicago locations.

I would call them to make sure there wasn't a problem with the order or maybe the address was entered incorrectly.

Don

I order from McMaster Carr frequently and have for about 9 years. I've always received my orders the next day. I live in north central Florida and receive shipments from their Atlanta and Chicago locations.

I would call them to make sure there wasn't a problem with the order or maybe the address was entered incorrectly.
    Interesting. I will do so.

Thanks for the advice,
    Joshua

Ditto that! Just bought Don's wheel dresser. Tried it last night. Much better than the oneway. The only problem I have, is that I still have the Oneway wheel dresser.....

Not that fast to Salt Lake

Joshua,
    For what it is worth I live in Salt Lake too. Orders from McMaster Carr do not get here the next day. It usually takes a few days for me to get my orders with the normal shipping.

Regards,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Zeigler View Post
    Joshua,
    For what it is worth I live in Salt Lake too. Orders from McMaster Carr do not get here the next day. It usually takes a few days for me to get my orders with the normal shipping.
    Yeah. Tracking says it is on the truck. To be delivered today. So 2 1/2 days. Not too bad all in all. I am just excited to give it a whirl. But hey if it comes today then I know I will be doing tomorrow morning!

Joshua

Everything I have ordered from McMaster has arrived the next morning (even stuff ordered after 4pm). In my case, it is coming from the Ohio location to Michigan though, so it's not that long a trip. I would imagine it taking a bit longer to get to UT. MC has great service for sure.