Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will the oneway balancing system work on a woodcraft slowspeed grinder?

OK. Apparently I did it all wrong. How do you put the new arbor bushing into the wheel? I need to know the replacement I am going to have to buy. I managed to mangle things and make it all 1000x worse. Ah well. I didn't actually want to do anything real this weekend.

I was tight. Very tight. I tried to get it go in and apparently I drive it in off center at a slight angle. Amazing how bad an effect that can create. But the hole in the wheel is now to big for the original bushing too.

Ah well. A wheel and a new bushing down the drain. I tried looking it up on the internet before trying this but there was nothing I could find about how to do it so I figured "hey! must be just that easy."

Anyway, anyone have any sage advice on how to put the bushing in place?

Thanks,
    Joshua

2. Use a socket to tap in

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dinerstein View Post
    OK. Apparently I did it all wrong. How do you put the new arbor bushing into the wheel? I need to know the replacement I am going to have to buy. I managed to mangle things and make it all 1000x worse. Ah well. I didn't actually want to do anything real this weekend.

I was tight. Very tight. I tried to get it go in and apparently I drive it in off center at a slight angle. Amazing how bad an effect that can create. But the hole in the wheel is now to big for the original bushing too.

Ah well. A wheel and a new bushing down the drain. I tried looking it up on the internet before trying this but there was nothing I could find about how to do it so I figured "hey! must be just that easy."

Thanks,
    Joshua
    Joshua,

My Goodness! Anyway mistakes do happen. The way I installed my drill bushings into the grinding wheels was this......

I got a socket from my tool set that would pretty much match up with the drill bushing, but would allow it to go inside the diameter of the hole in the grinding wheel [maybe 7/8" or thereabouts] I then placed the wheel on a nice solid and flat surface, and gently tapped the socket which was sitting flush on the drill bushing. One of my wheels was a tight fit [all the better] and one went in easily.

The main thing is not to hit on the wheel itself, but distribute the force over the drill bushing end evenly, and it will go in.

I also checked the depth before the final tapping with the hammer to see that I had the drill bushing centered in the width of the hole, so as to not get it too far to one side as that could possibly have made for a wobble as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your next one! by the way... you should still be able to use the drill bushing and not have to buy a new one. Just tap it out the same way as you tried to put it in.... good luck, Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dinerstein View Post

Thanks,
    Joshua
    Josh I haven't waded in here yet, but I would not want to be responsible for someone getting seriously hurt or even killed by a grinding wheel exploding, just to possible save a few dollars.

Rather than going the right way and have the proper flanges for the grinder to keep the wheel at right angles to the arbor, and then to round the wheel with a dresser, now there's this idea that a tight fitting bushing is what will do the job, and until someone gets a bushing in there too tight and have the wheel split and explode it might even do the trick.

So a heads up, I would not recommend getting a tight fitting bushing in there, you might do yourself a disfavor and create a accident waiting to happen

This is not directed to anyone in particular, but just as a reminder that a grinder is not a harmless tool, and to treat it as such, I've seen what damage an exploding wheel did do, and that's not funny
    Have fun and take care

4. Thank you Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Josh I haven't waded in here yet, but I would not want to be responsible for someone getting seriously hurt or even killed by a grinding wheel exploding, just to possible save a few dollars.

Rather than going the right way and have the proper flanges for the grinder to keep the wheel at right angles to the arbor, and then to round the wheel with a dresser, now there's this idea that a tight fitting bushing is what will do the job, and until someone gets a bushing in there too tight and have the wheel split and explode it might even do the trick.

So a heads up, I would not recommend getting a tight fitting bushing in there, you might do yourself a disfavor and create a accident waiting to happen

This is not directed to anyone in particular, but just as a reminder that a grinder is not a harmless tool, and to treat it as such, I've seen what damage an exploding wheel did do, and that's not funny
    Thanks Leo,

Safety is always first priority. I guess I should have qualified my "tight fit" statement a little. I certainly did not mean so tight that the bushing had to be forced. My Norton 3X wheel has a 1 inch hole, and the outside diameter of the drill bushing is also 1 inch, so give or take a few fragments in the make up of the aggregate in the wheel, one might get a little resistance or maybe not.

Thank you for pointing out safety, and the caution is well noted and appreciated

There should not be heavy resistance, but it should only take a few light taps with a hammer on the socket to get the bushing seated correctly, and help the wheel to run true.

Mine had to be forced. I have calmed down a lot now. I should have calmed down this morning but for some reason was in a tearing hurry. Mostly to beat the heat that was coming today, I think.

Anyway I screwed it up royally. It seems like it was a close fit so I tried to just tap it in with a hammer and in my frustation it became a true beat-down. Not my finest moment. Luckily I calmed down before trashing the other wheel.

In taking a better look now I see that the hole in the wheel was corrugated almost like... I dunno cardboard. The bushing that was in it was corrugated as well. (If anyone wants to see what this looks like I can take a picture of it...)

I think Leo might be right. It is entirely possible that this bushing could now act a lot like a wedge. But to be honest with the wheel that off balance it is a moot point. I won't be using it ever again. I thought about how I could ream it out to a new size for a larger bushing. But after the hammering I worry about the internal structure of the wheel. I wasn't hitting it that hard but it did go on for awhile. I think it is easier and safer to just get a new wheel. Plus I have no idea what I could "cut" it with. I have diamond dressers but they aren't round to go in the hole and it seems like a precision rather than a DIY job.

It is just a shame. That's all.

But the silver lining in all of this is that now is a good time to go and get a better quality of wheel.

Joshua

Good afternoon, Joshua.

I ordered a new Norton 3X 80 grit grinding wheel from Wood Craft and installed it today. One thing I noticed was that Norton is finally getting the idea as the plastic inserts/bushings fitted the wheel snugly. Every other wheel I have, including other Norton's, have bushing so loose that they freely fall out of the wheel. The new wheel is a good fit for the new steel bushings I got from McMaster&Carr.

I used the Geiger truing tool to dress the new wheel, and it looks pretty darn nice. I think I will order another Norton 3X wheel for the other end of the grinder.
    Best Regards, Ken

I've been able to press mine in by hand

I use the Norton 3X with the 1" hole and a 1" bushing. I've been able to press my bushings in by hand. The fit was close, but is supposed to be. I'd suggest being very careful you are having to drive it in. You don't want to ruin the integrity of the wheel.

Don Geiger

I've had some residual vibration on my grinder since installing one of these 40mm wide wheels. Not a lot but enough to cause the tools to bounce a bit. Anyway noticed that the inside surface wasn't running true. It was a bit tricky to set up a way of running a diamond dresser into that recess but managed to do it and it made an immediate difference.

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

A note of caution and a safer alternative!

Dress the side of a wheel is not advisable and can be very dangerous!!

A better alternative is to determine the point where the wheel moves to the extreme point toward the outside of the grinder (left or right), mark it with a pencil. Then loosen the nut and place a paper shim between the outside cup washer and the side of the wheel. Re-tighten and rotate to determine if the problem has been corrected. I use adhesive paper dots for this and they work quite well and won't damage the wheel. It may take a couple of tries, but it can be done. This is a much safer and effective alternative.

Don Geiger

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    I've had some residual vibration on my grinder since installing one of these 40mm wide wheels. Not a lot but enough to cause the tools to bounce a bit. Anyway noticed that the inside surface wasn't running true. It was a bit tricky to set up a way of running a diamond dresser into that recess but managed to do it and it made an immediate difference.

Slow Speed Grinder

Don,
    in a response earlier in this thread you mentioned going for 3X wheels in 80 grit and 120 grit.I'm not having any luck finding a K-grade wheel from Norton in 120 grit.The 80 grit is available from several vendors.Who is everybody who is ordering the Norton's getting them from.Is there a major difference between the I-grade and the K-grade wheels.With all the powdered metal and cyro-type tools the K-grade would be the right choice.
    Thanx,
    Greg

Joshua,
    I have used a setup to install arbors in wheels that amounted to two fender washers and a proper fitting bolt(5/8) and used tightening of the nut and bolt as kind of an arbor press to run the bushing straight into the wheel.

Information on hardness

Hi Greg:

The range wheel hardness for most of the tool steel we woodturners use is "H" through "L". So the "I" grade will work fine. The hardness scale runs from "A" to "Z", with "A" being the softest and "Z" the hardest.

Who offers the Norton 3X 120 grit wheel in the "I" grade?

Don Geiger

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Don,
    in a response earlier in this thread you mentioned going for 3X wheels in 80 grit and 120 grit.I'm not having any luck finding a K-grade wheel from Norton in 120 grit.The 80 grit is available from several vendors.Who is everybody who is ordering the Norton's getting them from.Is there a major difference between the I-grade and the K-grade wheels.With all the powdered metal and cyro-type tools the K-grade would be the right choice.
    Thanx,
    Greg

Joshua,
    I have used a setup to install arbors in wheels that amounted to two fender washers and a proper fitting bolt(5/8) and used tightening of the nut and bolt as kind of an arbor press to run the bushing straight into the wheel.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Don Geiger View Post
    Hi Greg:

The range wheel hardness for most of the tool steel we woodturners use is "H" through "L". So the "I" grade will work fine. The hardness scale runs from "A" to "Z", with "A" being the softest and "Z" the hardest.

Who offers the Norton 3X 120 grit wheel in the "I" grade?

Don Geiger

Don,

I got mine [120 grit "I" hardness Norton 3X 8" grinding wheel] from Hartville Tool. They have them listed on their website. This was the first purchase I have made from them, and the service was good, and they got the order correct.

slowspeed ginder

Don,
    Hartville Tool has it in there listing of Norton 3X wheels.It is the last one in the list.I guess I'll be ordering an 80 and a 120 from them in I-grade.
    Thanx,Greg

Thanks!

Thanks Greg!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Don,
    Hartville Tool has it in there listing of Norton 3X wheels.It is the last one in the list.I guess I'll be ordering an 80 and a 120 from them in I-grade.
    Thanx,Greg

WARNING: for those who try and change the bushing - grinding wheel can easily break!

I was worried about breaking the stone, but knowing that many others have installed steel bushings with no issue, I soldiered on...until it was just too tight and the stone broke in half... so angry. I just knew it was too tight. Rascal grinding wheel companies for forcing us to seek solutions for them cutting corners!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-13-2014 at 9:53 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language