Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pattern-making vise on woodworking bench

Pattern-making vise on woodworking bench

Hi,
    I am in the process of choosing a design for my new workbench. Originally I was planning to use Sam Maalof's design from Woodworking bench book with the pattern-making vise in the tail vise position. Lately after reading a book by Schwartz I am considering Roubo design with wagon and leg vises. I am not planning to do a lot of carving, but general woodworking.

I wonder how useful you find your pattern-making vise is and what are your thoughts about these two choices.

Thanks,
    Boris

A patternmakers vise is unnecessary if you've never had one, and essential if you have.
    I find new uses for mine all the time.
    I would never say I know better than Maloof, but I don't think I would use it as a tail vise. The tail vise is predominantly to push dogs, and would be underusing the flexibility of the patternmakers vise.
    Last edited by Darnell Hagen; 07-12-2010 at 11:49 PM.
    Darnell

I wouldn't, couldn't do without mine.
    So handy in so many ways....

Darnell, thanks for that Link! Wow.... awesome....

I have the WoodRiver version of the pattern makers vise, its in a box, and I am considering installing it on a 2nd workbench I am building.... but, I actually thought about selling it.... I just could not think of many uses for it.... but your pix is making me re think the vise. I don't do any carvings......

Those chairs are superb....do you have pix of them fully finished and upholstered? I would love to see them.

Don't know anything about the WoodRiver vise, but I own an Emmert PM vise and as said by others....couldn't live without it.
    Not sure it would matter much where you mount it as long as it's a good position for the work you do. I have mine mounted along the long edge of the bench as it's most practical there for me.
    As for the style of bench there is no 'better' design, it's really what works best for you. And no one can answer that question but you.
    good luck,
    JeffD

I have a Oliver pattern maker's vice on my bench now. Could I live without it? Probably, but I think it is nice to have and enjoy working with it. While most of the time have it in the "standard" position, it is really handy those times I need to move it to make the work better positioned. I too am looking to build a new bench (considering the Roubo, Holtzapffel and others) and whatever style I decide on it will incorporate the Oliver (probably mounted on the front with a wagon or standard quick release on the end).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ruggeri;
    I have a Oliver pattern maker's vice on my bench now. Could I live without it? Probably, but I think it is nice to have and enjoy working with it. While most of the time have it in the "standard" position, it is really handy those times I need to move it to make the work better positioned. I too am looking to build a new bench (considering the Roubo, Holtzapffel and others) and whatever style I decide on it will incorporate the Oliver (probably mounted on the front with a wagon or standard quick release on the end).

Mike
    Mike,

Do you think that pattern making and wagon
    vises at the end of the bench position
    would interfere with each other?

Boris,

I think having both on the end might interfere with one another. I think the exception is a design I saw somewhere on-line (can't remember where and can't find it now) where the guy built the bench so the handle for the wagon vise was inset to clear the other vise. Something like this shape for the end of the bench:
    I_____________I

With this configuration I think you could have both as the handle for the wagon vise would be clear from the other vise.

There is also this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76185 where another member has both on the end of his bench and has them positioned so they wouldn't interfere with each other. You might want to do a search of the forum as lots of good ideas from other members.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Ruggeri; 07-14-2010 at 12:06 PM.

I have to say that my last bench was fitted with a pattern makers vice, it was invaluable while making handrail components, Falling Wreaths, Scroll Wreaths and such. It could also handle tapered parts. I miss it.

Rob.

Anyone use this Emmert clone? Have been eyeing it for a while.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/p...rkingvise.aspx

Van, I have this vise from Woodcraft (I bought it for $205) with 20% off coupon. Did not use it myself, but I have a friend who is very happy with it. It is made in Taiwan, so don't expect Tucker or certainly not Emeret quality, but it comes also 4-5 times cheaper.

Boris

Thanks Mike (and everybody).

Boris

I set mine up as an integral part of the bench so it could be used fairly universally.

I set it up so it would be able to be grab flush with the edge of the table, This gives all of the edge working abilities of classic front vise, while keeping the abilities of a patternmaker's vise. This is my go to vise. I look at, drool over, and occasionally make other vise configurations, but I don't need them, this vise in this configuration does pretty much everything I need.

I put a lot of the setup and details in my blog.

Angles with Patternmaker's vise

Setting up the Patternmaker's Vise

Patternmaker's Axillary Jaw

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Sudel View Post
    Van, I have this vise from Woodcraft (I bought it for $205) with 20% off coupon. Did not use it myself, but I have a friend who is very happy with it. It is made in Taiwan, so don't expect Tucker or certainly not Emeret quality, but it comes also 4-5 times cheaper.

Boris

Thanks, that one has been on my radar also.

I forgot to mention that I got mine from Highland, while they had free shipping. As a further note, it is huge. massive and it is amazing! Do not put it on the end of a light table, it weighs 60 lbs and whatever you clamp will add it's weight. If you then start an operation that pushes outward, your table could tip. This needs to be mounted to a nice heavy table with nice heavy legs.

Bob