Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pattern-making vise on woodworking bench

Uhhh, actually I was thinking about a machinist's vise. Sorry.

Oliver patternmaker vise on Roubo bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ruggeri View Post
    I have a Oliver pattern maker's vice on my bench now. Could I live without it? Probably, but I think it is nice to have and enjoy working with it. While most of the time have it in the "standard" position, it is really handy those times I need to move it to make the work better positioned. I too am looking to build a new bench (considering the Roubo, Holtzapffel and others) and whatever style I decide on it will incorporate the Oliver (probably mounted on the front with a wagon or standard quick release on the end).

Mike
    I have an Oliver No. 1. and am considering how to mount it on a new workbench. Did you ever build a Roubo bench? It is the style that I'm strongly considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Anyone use this Emmert clone? Have been eyeing it for a while.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/p...rkingvise.aspx
    Van, I had one on my bench for quite a while; recently replaced it with a Yost that found at Tried and True tools (Minneapolis), because the Yost is larger (but mostly just because). My only complaint about the Highland vise was the hinge pin for pivoting it was drilled just a bit askew which meant that the necessary recess in my bench top for the mounting plate wasn't quite square. Didn't affect how it worked in the slightest, but since I didn't notice it before mounting I chiseled the recess a bit deep on one edge and it didn't look as nice (picky, picky). I covered the jaws with some leather belting I had around and really liked how it worked. It's now in a storage corner on the off chance that one of my sons will want it. The center guide is a large enough rectangle that you can clamp one side with no issues of racking, that may be the part I liked best.
    Terry T.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Anyone use this Emmert clone? Have been eyeing it for a while.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/p...rkingvise.aspx
    Looks like the same vise that I bought at the Japan Woodworker many years ago. It is entirely serviceable!