Thread: broke the screw

broke the screw

Has anyone ever had this happen? While roughing a bowl blank the woodworm screw on my Talon just shear off. I was turning at about 500rpm and there was no apparent catch. Surprised the heck out of me. Have to revert back to a faceplate till I get a new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I cut it twice and it's still too short

Hi Robert

Give Oneway a call and let them know what happened. Could be that they will replace it. Unless you bought the chuck from Woodcraft. If you bought the chuck within the past year Woodcraft will replace the broken part.

Good Luck
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

I like the calm way you stated it. Who jumped the farthest you or the blank.
    Last edited by Gary Max; 12-04-2004 at 4:46 PM.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

OneWay should take care of you...give them a call on Monday.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Robert, did you have the blank screwed tightly up against the chuck? I have not seen that happen or have heard of that happening before. When I first started I ripped a piece of softwood out of the screw with a bad catch. I have even stopped the motor but have not broken a worm screw. Could have been defective.

I think the screw was defective also. Upon closer inspection it looks like a small inclusion in the metal where it sheared. I bought the chuck a month ago from Penn State. I sent them an e-mail along with this picture.

I am surprised I sounded calm earlier... when it happened I was shaking like a dog chittin peach seeds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grady
    . . . I am surprised I sounded calm earlier... when it happened I was shaking like a dog chittin peach seeds!!!
    Robert -

LOL ! ! ! ! Seeing as how you are from Texas - Now that is a "Ratherism". Perfect description, too.

Glad you weren't hurt as the blank tried to achieve orbit.

Ted

In all fairness to Oneway, that looks like a pretty big blank to mount on one screw. A faceplate may be a better choice anyway.

Glad you weren't hurt.

Jack

Jack I disagree with you a bit on the size of the piece. My Nova manual (Just cuz I have that one close) says the maximum size for the woodworm screw is 10” wide by 4” thick. That piece of Roberts looks as though it falls within that size. Mike Mahoney in his video From the Tree to the Table uses much larger blanks and explains why he believes the woodworm screw is better than face plates.

I think you have two possibilities here. The first is the blank was not securely tightened against the chuck jaws and the second being a defective screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    In all fairness to Oneway, that looks like a pretty big blank to mount on one screw. A faceplate may be a better choice anyway.
    Jack, in actuality, you can mount a fairly large blank using a "woodworm" type screw arangement with good safety and performance--many "pros" do so regularly 'cause it's fast. It's very important, however, that the pilot hole be the correct size and that the blank seats fully and completely to the chuck jaws. That "shoulder" is critical to stability. If it's not snug, it could cause the blank to come off easily or even break the screw as illustrated in this thread...even one without a defect. Because of this seating issue, you must have a blank that is actually flat to mount it with the screw-chuck arrangement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also like to use #3 jaws for a larger footprint.

The blank I was turning was 9" dia. and 6" deep. I did have it seated on the jaws. I think getting a set of #3 jaws for a bigger footprint is a good idea. Sounds like I need to find SWMBO and put on my best begging face