Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quiet, high-CFM compressor suggestions

Blog Entries
    CAGs use a vortex effect (Google Ranque-Hilsch vortex) to transform a high-pressure air stream into a cold stream and a hot stream. There are no moving parts, no chemicals, etc., just a stream of air using physics to either heat or cool.

Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

One more thought. If you don't need more than 100 psi, a single stage unit will generate more CFM than a 2 stage. Single stage 5HP compressors usually have 2 cylinders, each compressing room air into the tank. 2 stage compressors use on cylinder to compress room air into the second cylinder and the second cylinder compresses again.

I think Quincy has detailed CFM ratings at various pressures. If my memory is right, their single stage at 100 psi delivers about 20% more than a 2 stage at 100 psi given the same motor size.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The application is a cold air gun which uses 15 CFM at 120+ psi, and it runs for many hours at a time... I think a screw qualifies for such a job.
    I just googled it...interesting device. Have you priced out alternatives? The description I read said it's not particularly efficient and is most useful if electrical cooling isn't available or if there is "waste" pressurized gas available.

If you're running a compressor to run a CAG, maybe a more traditional cooling solution might be cheaper to operate in the long term.

I have a IR in the shop and is not that badfor noise. But if I don't want to hear the anything I just use my CO2 set up, I have a little one in the shop i can carry around and a huge tank that I use to use to frame houses with I have even set the big tank up to back feed into the compressor lines keeping the shutoff on the compressor off"so it didn't try to fill the tank".