Thread: A lacquer as good as McFadden?

A lacquer as good as McFadden?

I just discovered that McFadden Instrument grade lacquer is no longer available and need to find a suitable replacement. What I liked about the McFadden was the % solids. Made it cover well and had low grain raising.

So far I have tried Behlen Qualalacq, it is no where close to as good, seems to be about the same as Deft. I see that Behlen makes an Instrument grade product, I'll order a quart from Woodcraft to test, it may have higher solids.

If someone has already done the research and found a suitable replacement, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

I don't make instruments so the other features of this is not important. I just need a good quick build with a hard surface.

Thanks,
    Perry

What was the % solids on it? Most "instrument lacquers" are pure NC lacquer. Sherwin Williams markets a high build NC lacquer. I did a quick MSDS search and it looks to be 23% solids.

I haven't used NC in a long time after switching to pre-cat and then water bourne acrylics.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I'm not sure of the whole story behind McFadden's, but I think they may be restructuring and still have the product available...

Behlen's also makes an instrument lacquer, and IIRC Mohawk makes that product and offers a very similar product under their own name...

you will definitely want to use an instrument grade lacquer on an instrument...why? because instruments tend to have a thicker build for that super deep shiny look, and that means a more flexible lacquer is desired...trust me, there are good reasons there are instrument grade lacquers...