Thread: Medal Display Case Construction

Medal Display Case Construction

I want to make a shadow box type display case for my son's medals. I'm not sure what the normal backing is for a display case. I was leaning toward fabric covered foam board to attache the medals but I think I need something more substantial for the case back.

How have you built the back of similar cases for say, military medals and what's the preferred method of attachment?

Thanks

How is it going to be displayed? Table top or hung on the wall?

If it's table top, I'd used 1/4" plywood rabbeted into the back and attach a cloth/velvet covered foam board to the back to match the interior dimensions of the shadow box.

Be sure to show pics of the finished product! Sounds like a neat idea.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Felt covered ply is what's on most of them Tim I've seen. The ribbons/medals attach fine and make it nice and strong.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Tim -

You can use most any material (cloth) that appeals. For the back, though <sup>1</sup>/<sub>8</sub>" plywood like baltic birch or door skin works well. You can drill small holes for the mounting studs and bend them over to hold the medals, ribbons, and rank insignia in place. Then put another thin back over that so nothing is visible from the back of the case.

Ted

What type of medals? How big are they? You can use cork as an alterative to a foam backer.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Here is one I built for my Dad several years ago. All of the metals etc. are held in place with a small dab of hot glue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim
    I made a wall mounted cabinet, used one eighth hardboard as a back, set in a dado. On the inside, I covered a piece of three quarter inch foam insulation with black velvet and glued the insulation to the hardboard. I only used that particular insulation because I had a piece that would fit (yes, I really am cheap! ). I've seen these boxes made a variety of ways, so I always thought that the "back" material would be determined by how the items would be attached - pinned, glued, tacked, etc.
    HTH
    Pat

8. Tim, Normally the backround color is the same as the backround of the branch flag. Navy: dark blue, Marines Red, Air Force light blue and Army. I' ve been an Honor Bosun's Mate at thosands for retirements over the years (23). I've also seen just wood that really looked nice. Putting cork or somethnig soft so the pins stick in makes life easier. Sorry about the delay. took me some time to gain acess to sawmill. Hope it helps.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Shier View Post
    Here is one I built for my Dad several years ago. All of the metals etc. are held in place with a small dab of hot glue.
    Michael,

Nice display case and a big thanks and congratulations to your Dad for earning that Bronze Star.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Shier View Post
    Hi Mike, That's a nice display case, and I noticed the Bronze Star also. What you did was what I would recommend to Tim, not only include the medals and the ribbon, but also include any unit citations, badges such as the CIB, Jump wings, CAB, Flight crew wings, etc.
    take care,
    John

11. Tim,

About 10 years ago, I made a run of 130 frames for a person who collected Purple Hearts.
    I made a rather deep shadow box and mounted the medal to a piece of ¼” plywood covered in purple velvet. I also mounted the plywood with a slight backward tilt, so the medal wouldn’t hang away from the backing while displayed. I routed a slot for the brooch and used a piece of aluminum flashing bent around the pin, pushed through the back board and folded over to secure the medal in place. In the end, I used a piece of fishing line or fine copper wire around the suspension knob to further secure the planchet and prevent the ribbon from carrying the weight. This fishing line/wire, made the angled backboard unnecessary, but I liked the look it gave the finished frame.
    In the one photo, you can see the tapered side shim that gave the backboard its angled stance.

Rob Millard
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've made a few, I always use 1/4" gator board and cover in plain texture velvet, cost a little more but well worth the look. As for color it is dependant on the branch of service usually marines I use red, airforce I use blue, navy use navy blue and army dark green. I usually back in thin bb or make a panel out of the the same wood as the rest of the case.
    larry