Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe decisions - HELP

Lathe decisions - HELP

Jet Mini - 1/2 HP - 500-3900 RPM with belt/pulley swaps- 10"x 14" cap.

Delta Midi - 1/2 HP? - 500-3700 RPM with belt/pulley swaps 10 x 14 Cap.

Harbor Freight - 3/4 HP - 600-2400 RPM 12" x 33-3/8" Cap - With light stand and pivoting head.

I can get them all semi-locally.

Jet $250

Delta $288

HF $280

I've never turned a thing so I know NOTHING. My gut says go Jet but the HF looks like a lot for the money.

Help me....

I would go with the Jet or Delta-----real good service on both of them.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Robert I love my Jet mini. Take a look around because I think you can beat that price. Got mine in March and only paid $199 for it. There is a lot of lathe for the money.

But like the rest of us have found out, you might as well go straight to a 14"-16" lathe and save the little step and a few hundred dollars. You will more then likley end up with one anyways.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Jet, hands down!

Jet mini. You can add the bed extension when you are ready and will still have nearly the same realistic capacities of the HFT. And...when you upgrade (not "if"... ) in the future, you'll have the option of keeping the smaller lathe for detail work, travel or teaching opportunities or selling it for good value.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jet it is then.

I came "this close" to getting the HF one today. But it had enough rough edges to make me wait.

I will get their $39 set of 8 turning tools to start with. No great loss if I screw them up.

Check the HF tools - Are they HSS? If not ask them to order in the 29.00 HSS set. Their tools that are HSS are bery good. The non-HSS are junk! Of course this is MHO, But I bought the HSS ones and am very happy with them.

Bruce

I believe the HF tools are HSS.

The eventual desire for a larger lathe is the only thing that gives me pause.

One day, I KNOW I wil want to do something larger.

Heck, maybe I'll get my machinist buddy to help me build one when the time comes....

I think I'll stick with the Jet.

Now, where did I put that credit card....

I have those HF HSS tools as well. I couldn't be more happy with them.

What is the part number on the HF Lathe... if it's 34706 and it's a 12x36 lathe, it's a direct knock off of the Jet 12x36 (which is not the mini you are looking at) ... it's a good lathe and if you've got a HF store nearby, what the sales, it will probably go on sale for 169$ or so in the very near future (probably before xmas). It's got a good reputation and I had one for 2 years, turned everything I wanted to turn. It's a touch down on power but I sold it to a high school kid who's still turning on it. I sold it to buy a bigger lathe, which I eventually sold and now use a JET VS mini because I turn almost all small stuff like pens, stoppers, small bowls & hollows. HF stuff is sometimes good, sometimes junk, you got to watch it.. but the 34706 HF Lathe is a winner at the price point.

If you want the bigger lathe, consider the HF lathe, but if you really just want a Mini lathe -- buy the JET as it's the class of the type.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

CSU has the JET mini on sale for $199+$35 shipping!!! I just ordered one.....they said it will be here in about 3 days. Apparently JET is raising prices shortly and CSU is selling off their current stock.....they told me this price will last until all of the old ones are gone and didn't know how long that would be.....but I got mine!!!!

If anyone is thinking about a Christmas present, now would be the time!!

12. I think you can get the Jet on Amazon.com for $249.00 then they have 25.00 off and free shipping its the best deal I have found. And yes I hear all tools companys are raising prices at the end of the year.

Michael, the HF is ITEM 34706-5VGA @ 279.99

Randy, who is CSU?

Craft Supplies USA @ www.woodturnerscatalog.com

Thanks for the help.